Respected Contributor

Has anyone seen online places that sell the rosarugosa bush rose? I am talking about the one that has rose hips form in mid -late summer and also primitive roses. 

I can not find any locally and have not searched much this year but did not see any online last year.

I had many at my former house , but they were too deeply rooted to dig up. I loved them as they were my kind of gardening--easy/fragrant/ lovely/& nice looking all year long.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure this will be deleted if I put in an actual link but I've bought them from heirloomroses.com. Mine are white and they sail through the drought here in LA with little complaining.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

@okaywitheasypay, if you have had them before, you know what they are like.  My advice is be careful what you wish for.  They can spread like crazy and are hard to get rid of.  I speak from experience🙄!  LM

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Has anyone seen online places that sell the rosarugosa bush rose? I am talking about the one that has rose hips form in mid -late summer and also primitive roses. 

I can not find any locally and have not searched much this year but did not see any online last year.

I had many at my former house , but they were too deeply rooted to dig up. I loved them as they were my kind of gardening--easy/fragrant/ lovely/& nice looking all year long.

Someone mentioned the wild rose-- that is not the one I hope you want. The wild rose is a vector for Rose Rosette Disease or RRD. But there are cultivars of rugosa roses which are fragrant and disease resistant.

Two that come to mind are 'Blanc Double de Coubert' and 'Dart's Dash'.

They are thorny but with small thorns on their stems, not barbs.

Their leaves are differently shaped than the roses like hybrid teas and floribundas have.

Many of our cultivars may have derived from one of these roses as parents because of its disease resistant characteristics.

The two cultivars I mentioned can get about 4' high and wide. But you can keep it smaller if you like. I would not recommend it as a border front of the rose garden rose but more of a landscape use rose.

Here is my 'Blanc Double de Coubert' a close up of the flower:

'Blanc Double de Coubert' Rugosa rose.JPG

Close Up 'Blanc Double de Coubert' Rugosa Rose.JPG

The pink flowers in the upper left hand corner are from a mountain laurel 'Tinkerbell'

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Well hello Ms Lilysmom!  Haven't seen or heard from you here in a while.  Hope you are well in NS.

How does your garden grow this spring?  I'm imagining it's becoming quite lovely.  Any new pics you'd like to share?

My pink dogwood out front is beginning to bloom.  We have a few creamy whites intermingled that just happened to pop up in the last few years due to seedings landing in our yard from neighboring whites.  The combo is like our own mini forest of dogwoods!

My husband planted tons of bulbs end of last year - daffs and a variety of colored tulips.  They're all up, doing great!  Some of the daffs are huge, others are truly minis that are very sweet.  The tulips are so colorful, reds, corals, yellows, two-tones, pinks.  Some haven't yet bloomed so we continue to be surprised every day.  The lilac in our alley is beginning to bloom too.  I must sneek out and cut a few flowers.  I've been bringing in a few daffs & tulips for vases as well.  LOVE fresh flowers in the house from my own garden!

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD, come over to the garden forum and I will reply in my post on spring blooms so we don't go too OT here😊.  LM