Honored Contributor

I find it tough to lift those large bags of soil,any one else?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Of course, they are heavy. You can always buy smaller bags but it is more costly. Try to shop somewhere that someone will help you load them. My problem isn’t so much the potting soil as it is the big bags of mulch which are used a lot of.

I try never to lift them but sometimes drag them and I don’t even like that.  I try never to completely lift  the bag, always drag it or have it on the dolly which helps a lot. If I buy at Home Depot, I can balance them on the edge of the cart and then Roll them into the back of the SUV. Sometimes you can get help at HD.  Nurseries and OSH are more helpful. When I get them out Of the car I have a dolly lined up so when they hit the ground they land on the dolly. When I get them in the storage area I load the potting mix into a smaller bucket to carry where needed. 

Have fun gardening!

Honored Contributor

Of course you can buy smaller bags but the larger ones are much more economical.  Maybe someone from the garden or big box store can load it in the car for you.  At home, you'll need to lift it out of the car; do you have a wagon to set it in?

Respected Contributor

I usually get the 55 quart bags of potting soil at BJ's and have my husband or son help me with them. These are one of the items that you can order ahead online at BJ's and they'll have the order ready for pick-up a couple of hours later. I haven't pre-ordered my potting soil, but I wonder if they'd get someone to help you put it in your car if you asked them when you picked it up. I bet they would, especially if you ordered a few bags.

Respected Contributor

I ask for help loading onto the car.  When I get home, my SIL unloads it.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I buy the large bags because the cost is more budget friendly. I have them load them in the car for me. Once home I just need to get them from the car onto my trolley cart and then I can wheel it to a corner in the garage. I transfer the soli into an old bucket and it is easier for use if I'm just refreshing planters, etc. If I need to do extenstive work then I slide the trolley cart under the bag and wheel it where I need.  This system works for my needs and gives me the option of doing it when it works for me.  Sometimes I don't want to wait until the weekend when my husband can drag the bag to the areas that I need.     

Respected Contributor

Not yet, though I’m sure one day I will. 

Honored Contributor

Just me here ,no helpers , i may look in to a trolly.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

I have a small garden cart, similar to a wheelbarrow, but smaller.  I love it and it gets used extensively the whole summer.  Use it for loading up with soil, mulch, trimmings, clippings, etc.   It's light-weight and can be stood up on end in back of my shed or garage...

I used to have a regular sized wheelbarrow....OMG!...couldn't maneuver that thing anywhere without tipping it over, along with the contents.   

Am so happy I purchased my smaller cart...it has two wheels, so doesn't tip over very easily, but my hubbie did have to replace the wheels on it...I wore them out!

Honored Contributor

I have a very inexpensive plastic wheelbarrow into which I drag heavy bags out of the back of my SUV.  I can't lift much due to back problems but I'm great at dragging/pulling.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment