Honored Contributor

Directly into the flower garden, i planted several types,only the zinnas are coming up, what did i do wrong?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Aren't zinnias great? I have learned my lesson and zinnias are just about all I will plant by seed. 

Honored Contributor

Every time I ever planted seeds, I might as well have stuck quarters in the ground.  The only thing I've had luck with are saving the seeds from the flower heads of marigolds and planting them.  Same with portulaca.... it actually self-seeds.  You did better with zinnias than I. 

I think it's best to start them in a sunny window then transplant them outside. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: planting flower seeds

[ Edited ]

Try mixing the seeds with some sand and rake them into the soft soil and keep the soil moist. I find flowers are very hard to start from directly sowing seeds.

Esteemed Contributor
@goldensrbest,

First, some seeds are best sown directly into the garden, and other seeds are better, stronger when started in flats of starting soil, and transplanted into the garden when they're strong sprouts. Check what you planted directly into your garden soil and confirm that is the recommended method.

I'm going to assume planting depth, germination time, watering, sun, etc are great, and it's the soil.

I can't plant any seeds directly into the heavy, clay soil in my area. Even in garden beds where I have worked for decades to improve the soil, I'll still make a little trench and lay starting soil in there, and place the seeds in the starting soil. They'll sprout in the nice soil, and by the time their roots grow past their 'baby bed' and into the regular garden soil they are more sturdy and able to deal with the less favorable soil just a few inches away.
Respected Contributor

Did you soak your seeds in water overnight?  I do that and have no problem.

Esteemed Contributor
Soaking overnight before planting is recommended for very hard, water resistant hulls, but is not a general rule for all seeds. Check seed pack for recommended planting guidelines.

blackhole99's tip to mix seeds w sand before sowing is recommended for very tiny, fine seeds that are difficult to handle individually, and germinate on or just below the soil's surface.
Honored Contributor

Maybe something ate your seeds.

I tried to grow sunflowers from seeds one year.

The squirrels were VERY happy.

@goldensrbest

Honored Contributor

When you plant seeds outside you lose a lot of the control you have when you start them inside. Lots of things (birds, squirrels, microorganisms, etc.) will attack seeds sown in non-sterile soil. There's a reason the pros use a sterile seed starting mix. Even if the seeds aren't eaten or destroyed by something, they still need just the right amount of moisture to germinate and grow. Too much moisture and they'll drown or rot. Too little moisture and they'll start to sprout, dry out and die. A sunny day can dry out the upper layers of soil very quickly. A heavy rainstorm can drown the seeds. If it's too hot the seeds won't germinate. If it's too cold they won't germinate. It's just much, much easier to start seeds indoors.

Starting seeds indoors you can generally get 90% or higher germination rates. Outdoors you might get 10%-20% germination rates. Some plants aren't too hard to start outdoors, zinnias, marigolds, cosmos, sweet peas, sunflowers, and morning glory are all pretty easy to grow outside depending on the soil type. Some soils will crust over however which makes seed starting nearly impossible.

Most gardeners end up with a few (or many) empty six packs at the end of a garden season. Hold onto those and reuse them with some sterile seed starting mix to start seeds the next year and you'll get really good results.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest, I have great luck with marigold seeds in planters.  I've done five this year.  LM