Respected Contributor

my Japanese Maple is no longer red

What happened, does anyone know?

Respected Contributor

Re: my Japanese Maple is no longer red

Without knowing what color it is instead, it's hard to know.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's  Fall

Honored Contributor

I have no idea.  I am looking at my neighbor's tree and it is very red and beautiful.  In fact it is the only tree in my neighborhood that has any color besides the ornamental plum trees.

We got so much rain this year that the trees did not change color this fall.  They go from green to just falling off...no color at all.

My husband drives north in PA were it is colder and he said the mountains are still green there too.

Did you have crazy weather this summer that might have caused your tree to change color or is your tree shaded?  They need to be in full sun to have the best red color.

Honored Contributor

A very disappointing fall, for sure, here in the metro-DC area.  I noticed signs on my local streets announcing leaf pickup to begin soon.  They might have to wait a bit.....most of the trees are still green!  Bummer!  I did see one colorful tree this morning.  One.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your answers....but my tree has beeb like this for a year. The leaves do not turn red anymore,

Esteemed Contributor

Does it start out red in the spring and then gradually fade in the heat of summer?  That is normal.

Many weeping Japanese maples are grafted onto root stock that are usually a green leaved variety.  Perhaps it is sprouting from there.

My weeping red Japanese maple never has good fall color.  It's a beautiful tree, just not in that aspect.

Has it gotten shadier where the plant is growing?  They can tolerate a fair amount of shade, though at some point will not color up nicely if shade is too deep.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant  Wonder if it is lacking nutriuents or some kind or simply not enough sun? You might check with a local nursery or a qualified aborist for the best advice. The red color is part of why you have that tree! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia, I thought it might be the grafting issue as well.  LM

Contributor

to the op: it sounds as though something is wrong with your tree. Probably an arborist could diagnose what's wrong or you could take pictures of it and show them to your nearest garden center.