Esteemed Contributor

Re: my Japanese Maple is no longer red

@ellaphant, just googled and saw this...

Unusually warm early fall weather may delay or even prevent the leaves from turning red at all. ... As a result, the leaves can no longer produce chlorophyll, which normally gives the leaves their bright green color. Without chlorophyll, red maples turn red or yellow.

If that is the case, I would assume it would return to normal colors again weather permitting.  LM

Occasional Contributor

What is its botanical name?  That will be  helpful in understanding what is going on - check the tag on the plant

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is the summer foliage normally red / purple and the problem is that it was green this year?  Or is the summer foliage normally green and the problem is that it had no fall color?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I despise Japanese maples. Never been a fan of those. I like traditional maple trees.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

images.jpegimages.jpeg

@Reever  How can you not love such beautiful trees.  Both of the above images were labeled as Japanense maples.

Honored Contributor

How does one despise a tree - any tree?  I love japanese maples, we have 2.

Valued Contributor

I have 2 42 year old Japanese Maple trees in my yard.  They are more of the shrub like and stand about 4 ft tall by I would guess 8 ft. wide or more never measured them..  Mine do change color in the fall and will eventually lose the leaves.  I wouldn't worry about it because I think the trees lose the leaves as well.  My husband does his thing every so often and collects the seeds and grows them.  I feel they are of the most beautiful shrubs/trees.  I have Japanese Holly shrubs also and they are equally beautiful.  My husband does an edward scissorhand thing on them every year so don't know what it will be the following year.  They use to have red berries on them but he keeps trimming them down.

Respected Contributor

Give me a red blooded American Maple tree majestic and proud. Mine stands over 60 feet tall.
Honored Contributor

I have 4 Japanese maples on my property.  Each one is a different species.  Two of them are brilliant red when they first bloom in spring.  Then as summer approaches the start turning to a green then a brown.  I have one that is a green leaf  in spring and summer with red red bark in winter. The leaves  turn a reddish before hey fall off in fall/winter.  

Frequent Contributor

I also have a red maple tree that I give a dose of " dried red  blood"  to each year.  You get it a nursery and it helps the tree to remain red.  It is a dry granule with no ordor just somehow gives the tree a boost to keep is foilage  red.