Super Contributor

migrating birds coming to Illinois

[ Edited ]

I just read that 5.3 million birds have come into Illinois Sunday night into Monday morning and today Tuesday and Wednesday nights there will be 450 million coming.  I am so excited to see them return after a very dismal showing last month.  Hooray!

bird.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: migrating birds coming to Illinois

How do they come up with these numbers?

Valued Contributor

I will start putting out the oranges and the grape jam for the Orioles. We've already had the grosbeaks here last week.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess    I wondered that same thing...BUT, we have actual human  Saguaro cactus

"counters" in Arizona...   

Phoenix leads nation in population growth for 4th consecutive year | ResetEra   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi , yeah, but the saguro cacti stay in one spot.  I can't imagine trying to count migrating birds, and at night?  I didn't think birds flew at night, but maybe they do when they're migrating.  

Honored Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

I will start putting out the oranges and the grape jam for the Orioles. We've already had the grosbeaks here last week.

@piperbay as of yesterday I still had grosbeaks at my feeder here in AL.   My husband can't believe that migrating birds know how to find bird feeders, LOL.

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess So far I have seen the male grosbeaks only. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the female.

Honored Contributor

@piperbay I had 2 males and 1 female that I know of.  I had 1 or 2 males mid April, so I'm guessing these are different ones.  

Super Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

How do they come up with these numbers?

This is according to BirdCast and Cornell University.

Valued Contributor

I have an app I downloaded on my Iphone from the Cornell Lab.  It's called Merlin.

What I like about it is that you can set it to record and it will identify all the birds it hears and brings up a picture.  I got it from the the Apple App store.  It has other features as well that I have not tried out.