Honored Contributor

I have many pots full of oriental/ stargazer/  orienpet lilies that are almost all bloomed by now--but some of them didn't even get buds just stems. Do I let them go or can I dig them up and re plant. Also, do I divide them myself or will they do that on their own.  I know I need to wait until the stems are all brown and dry to cut them to dirt level.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  We find that not all of our lilies bloom each year, don't know why but then they'll bloom the year after. If your's are new plantings in the last year or two, I'd still leave them alone for another year to see what happens next, then you may want to transplant to a better spot.

The ones that have bloomed wait until the stems brown out and then cut them down to almost an inch above ground. When they've really browned all the way the stem sometimes you can just give a gentle yank and they'll pull right out.

I wouldn't divide unless you have really large bundles together.

Honored Contributor

pink--ok thats what I needed to hear---thanks, will do just that.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the bulbs start to naturalize (make more of themselves below ground) and the bulb daughters aren’t large enough to bloom yet. But as they get larger, eventually they will bloom. In the interim, they just put out foliage.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼