Honored Contributor

Re: landscape around my trellis

I have clematis going up a trellis on my shed and have day lilies in the ground in front. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Maybe plant ground cover like Pachysandra

I really like pachysandra, it just does not grow well for me.

Trusted Contributor

If you plant grass you have to mow, fertilize and maintain it. You'll hate it very quickly. Grass only looks good if it's groomed and kept green. You like high maintenance plantings?

Plant hostas or other green perennials that serve as ground cover, give that green look you want, with no or low maintenance.  Hostas will revive from cold snowy winters, if that's your climate. If you live in a cold area, best to cut down hosta before the frost, mulch lightly, and then in spring it will come right back by itself. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , I wonder if you might think about a compact evergreen?  I added some to my garden this year.  I love evergreens...they are so easy care and look good all here. 

Or you could use a colourful Japanese forest grass like below..., or a sedum ...

B350735A-7FAF-45C3-9908-7E372899C01E.jpeg

47EE4E29-C6EA-4AA3-BFD3-005B968CDC7D.jpeg

Whipcord cedar

D0A89017-CE67-42BA-A327-06CF68FB7AFF.jpeg

Ice breaker Korean Fir

71F2EA9B-97A9-4B87-AA5A-F41F72C60765.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1    Thank you for the visual.  Your garden areas are so pretty.

After work today I will start clearning out the area, I might have to make a trip to a garden center.  Thank you

Honored Contributor

Clear the area now & wait till spring for more options on what to plant there.

There are small weigelas such as My Monet or Midnight Wine or even Minuet that would look good in that area. Are you planning to remove the trellises? 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Clear the area now & wait till spring for more options on what to plant there.

There are small weigelas such as My Monet or Midnight Wine or even Minuet that would look good in that area. Are you planning to remove the trellises? 

@JustJazzmom 

I am keeping the trellises, the are very nice, heavy duty.  I can't even remember what I planted to vine up them years ago and I never see them bloom (I have two) one in front of each window on the east side of the house.  The area from the foundation to the trellis is what needs cleaned up and re thought. Right now there are some small pebbles, and vinca growing but I just don't like the look.  I won't plant anything until spring.  I am going to clean up, edge the sides and take out the vinca and small stones hopefully starting yet today.

Honored Contributor

There is a lovely clematis that is lightly fragrant & bluish white with bell shaped flowers that is disease resistant to clematis wilt called 'Betty Corning'. I have it trained to a tripod obelisk but it can be trained to a trellis or arbor. I lightly prune it in spring or late fall and it comes back quite well. 

Google pictures or look at this one:

DE159CEE-17F8-43D0-90BD-6D75111D42E4.jpeg

The flower is about 1 1/2" long. I got mine from Bluestone Perennials, & in the past Wayside & White Flower Farm have sold it. They are currently sold out in all 3 internet sites but most likely spring will have them again. This variety blooms during the summer. 

The photo should be bluish not purplish color. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom  What a pretty flower.  Today I got one trellis' cleaned up and all the vinca removed.  What a job.  My hand are really sore this evening.

I hope I can work on the other trellis tomorrow.  I'm going to try to get out as many of the small stones as I can.  What I can't get out I'll just turn over the dirt really well.