Respected Contributor

Re: hydrangea plants.....trimming

I have 2 hydrangea plants in the front raised oval bed and 1 out back next to the gazebo.

I asked the same question and got much advice.  Didn’t trim back the gazebo one and it GREW more, too much so. The front two got cut to the ground.  They are fine.

Last year, I decided they all were being cut to the ground.  Size is much more manageable.  Flowers:  depends on the type of winter and the oddball 70 degree weather in the middle of winter !

Sedums get cut to the ground or the thorns next spring when you want to cut the stalks down will really hurt, even through leather gardening gloves.  No bad effect on future growth !

The Stella D’Oros get spent blades and dried flower stalks cleaned up after the first bloom:  they keep on blooming all summer.  After the first frost, they are tossed.

Less stamina and desire to garden now:  found new homes for a lot of plants, flowers, and shrubs.

The only work project are my yellow iris:

4B79B461-19C8-4272-A446-478289D296F4.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOODHe's absolutely correct. That's why I told the OP to check on Google. She needs to educate herself about the plants she has and how to properly care for them. She has two different kinds and apparently didn't have a clue. I gave her that information, but she needs to do some homework on her own in order to successfully care for them and prune them accurately. Too much to teach her in a few paragraphs on this site!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz, sedums & Stella D’oro daylilues are perennials. No need to toss the dayliles, just remove the browned stems & leaves in fall & they will return in spring. Sedums — same advice— remove dead stems, spent flowers or leave up for winter interest, then remove the dead stuff above ground before the green new foliage/stems come up in spring.

@Mom2Dogs What Birkilady said, trim the old style hydrangea plant in early to mid September, before blooms are set for coming year. The old style hydrangea blooms on the previous year’s growth, so pruning in late fall or early spring might cause removal of buds (no flowers or less flowers seen in summer).

The strawberry hydrangea if it’s in full sun might be a Hydrangea paniculata with panicles as flowers instead of pom poms or lacecaps. That plant can be pruned in spring before the buds form (blooms on the current season’s growth).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom, yes the strawberry hydrangea is a paniculata...it is so big that I am worried about it breaking under a heavy snow this winter, that is why I wanted to trim in the fall.

Thanks for the advice.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@JustJazzmom, yes the strawberry hydrangea is a paniculata...it is so big that I am worried about it breaking under a heavy snow this winter, that is why I wanted to trim in the fall.

Thanks for the advice.

Definitely prune in fall then to shape, especially to avoid branch breakage with snow & ice storms.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @BirkiLady....Google what type you have.

I trimmed mine back in the fall and the following year had no blooms.....Found out mine were supposed to be trimmed in the Spring....

Now I have blooms since I trimmed this year in the Spring..