Respected Contributor

Hang your hummingbird feeder with fishing line. Many ants have difficulty gripping the thin, slippery line. 

Super Contributor

Greasing the pole is not a good idea.  It can kill birds.  If birds get the grease on their feathers they can't preen it out.  It damages their coat and makes them easy prey for predators. The feathers also no longer insulate the bird.   I have three feeders on my porch and feed dozens of Hummers.  I use aunt guards above the feeders.  They are little cups filled with water and never have an ant problem.  I use the Best 1 or Humdinger glas feeders.  The cups come totally apart the top snaps off) and I even put them in the dishwasher.  I only use sugar solution, 1 cup of sugar for 4 cups of water.

Hummingbird Feeder.jpg

A lot of the decorative feeders are worthless, are difficult to clean or even have dangerous metals. I love the 16 oz. which I found at the Mast General Store because they are the perfect size and easy to clean.   If you feed Hummers because you care for them you need to do it right to keep them healthy.

Super Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

Google "ant moat for hummingbird feeder." You hang it in between your hook and your feeder and keep it filled with water. The ants can't get past the water to your feeder. I have one shaped like this:

These ant moats are the perfect solution.  Never have ants.  I bought clear ones from Drs. Foster and Smith so I can see when the water needs to be refilled.  Never, never use grease.  It's very bad for the birds and can kill them if it ends up on their feathers.

Super Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

The rain has been relentless in SE VA and the humidity is very high and my three feeders were getting moldy.  I took them down and scrubbed them today and will wait a bit to return them.  I have seen some hummers sipping from the flowers on my hostas.  

I have three 16 oz feeders on my porch.  Emptied every day, lots of Hummers.  I get more every year.  When I first started feeding and didn't have returning families yet I made sure to change the solution at least every 3d days during hot weather.  Spoiled solution is not good for the Hummers.  I used to fill less and change more often to keep it fresh.  Don't have that problem anymore.  I have gone thru 20 pounds of sugar since 1 April.  Everybody coming to my house is in awe of "my" Hummers.

Respected Contributor

These are the very best feeders I have ever found. They are easy to clean (SO important) and they hold just enough for the hummers to eat before the sugar water goes bad. I tie a big red ribbon at the top. You can find them for about $2 each. They have sets with 2 feeders like this (Amazon) that attach to your window with suction cups if you like watching those little guys up close like me. I've had WAY fancier feeders that were SO hard to keep clean that I switched to these. I have 5 in the yard and I fill these once a day. LOTS of hungry customers. Keep it clean and keep it fresh!

Super Contributor

Re: humming bird feeders

[ Edited ]

I enjoy feeding our Hummingbirds and have had great success with a tray type feeder, if you search for one called Humm Zinger you'll find it.  Super easy to clean!  I also used a straw cleaning brush to get into the ports and around any nooks and crannies that a sponge can't reach.   Mine also have a built in ant moat, a well to put water in the center to keep the crawlies out.

I change my nectar every few days, just boil 2 cups of water and add 1/2 cup sugar, let it cool, bring in the feeders, scrub them, refill and hang back up.  Really only takes a few minutes time, aside from the cooling.  I'm rewarded with many jeweled visitors!    I'm in zone 5b so we get the Ruby Throated variety.

hummzinger.jpg

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

I second the recommendation not to use soap to clean your hummingbird feeder. I use really hot water. And the brush I like the best to clean any obvious dirt/mold on the inside is the one below, although the color I have is black. When I bought it I thought I would use the bigger end to clean but actually the bent, smaller end works better. I also have the tiny little brush to clean the holes if they get dirty. Pic of it below, too. 

Just ordered this feeder...read about it, seems so easy, and built in mote.    Although I haven't had any ants.  I have one those double decker duo feeders.  Yes it's pretty with flowers, and perches, but what a pain to take apart, and put together.   Then I hang it, sit back and watch, and realize I put it together upside down😩.  

Also I noticed the hummers come immediately after I fill it.  Guess they like it very fresh.  After a while they stop coming..so have to change it often.  I use the 4 to 1 ratio.  Looking forward to try the one above.  Enjoyed reading this thread🙂

Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole wrote:

I enjoy feeding our Hummingbirds and have had great success with a tray type feeder, if you search for one called Humm Zinger you'll find it.  Super easy to clean!  I also used a straw cleaning brush to get into the ports and around any nooks and crannies that a sponge can't reach.   Mine also have a built in ant moat, a well to put water in the center to keep the crawlies out.

I change my nectar every few days, just boil 2 cups of water and add 1/2 cup sugar, let it cool, bring in the feeders, scrub them, refill and hang back up.  Really only takes a few minutes time, aside from the cooling.  I'm rewarded with many jeweled visitors!    I'm in zone 5b so we get the Ruby Throated variety.

hummzinger.jpg

Actually  this is the I'm ordering from Amazon, hummzinger...thought it was the one above.  Looks good.  So fun to watch them