Respected Contributor

Hello, I've had hummingbird feeders for 70 years, and I put it up every summer come May. I buy an ant deflector from Duncraft, which is a mailorder pace, and it keeps the ants out of your feeder. I usually buy two at a time ,but can use it for a few years before I think I might change it. It has a hook and all so yoy can attach it to the top of your feeder. I guarentee you will not have the ants. Just google them. Also I clean the feeder out usually real good in a couple weeks. Try to keep it out of the sun and you wont get the cloudy water. I only use water 4 to 1 sugar, They supposedly come back to the same feeder every year.I have them on a hook stand I got at the garden shop at my kitchen window, some times hang it all from a tree.  I love them, and have had many years watching them.

Esteemed Contributor

I also agree with using the ant moats....works great for me too.

Respected Contributor

I never had a Humming Bird Feeder. Sounds like a lot

of work ! I have enough to do outside in my yard. Smiley Frustrated

I do have Perennials Flowers around that attract

a few Humming Birds.

Frequent Contributor

I have 2 hummingbird feeders, 1 in front and 1 in back. I have the “jewel box” type. They attach to my windows with suction cups. It is super easy to clean and has an ant moat. They are not a lot of work and so rewarding. I have many many hummingbirds every day. So amazing to watch especially so close up. My grandchildren will stand in front of the windows and watch with wonder of how these tiny birds drink the nectar they helped me make. 

Respected Contributor

The hummers in my area are Ruby-Throated.  I am in Zone 6. 

Feeders really should be positioned  at least 24-36 inches away from a window. The tiny birds see their reflections in the window. They are VERY TERRITORIAL  and think there is another hummingbird horning in on their feeder and will dart at their reflection and hit the glass.

I change nectar every 2-3 days.   I fill only what they will drink -  more birds will arrive in late June-July and I fill to top.  Fledged Babies arrive mid-July . They are so amazing crowding the feeders. They seem to swarm the feeders at dusk.

I have 4 feeders in rotation and I soak them in a washtub with a drop of bleach. The bleach will kill off mold.  Scrub any mold with a dish or bottle brush.  The bleach will not harm them, just be sure to dry all parts  thoroughly and in sunlight if possible.

This is my newest feeder: It has a clear well to check the nectar level,  an ant moat on top and there are no separate "flowers" and cups  and other parts to fumble with. from Ace HW.

More Birds Garnet Hummingbird 20 oz. Glass Bottle Nectar Feeder 7(36) - Ace Hardware

Frequent Contributor

I am in zone 5 and my feeders are attached to windows. And they have NEVER caused a hummingbird to fly into a window. And I have been doing this for years and years, 

Esteemed Contributor

I just ordered the "ant moats" on the Drs. Foster & Smith website. The larger size had great reviews and is $3.99 with free shipping today (Sunday, 6/3). Thanks to those who mentioned the ant moat - looking forward to receiving mine....so tired of those blasted ants!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: humming bird feeders

[ Edited ]

Thanks @jannabelle1!  Just orderd the moat from Drs F&S - I'd been looking for one and the free ship is fantastic.

Ants haven't found my feeder yet, but it's only a matter of time.🐜

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

The rain has been relentless in SE VA and the humidity is very high and my three feeders were getting moldy.  I took them down and scrubbed them today and will wait a bit to return them.  I have seen some hummers sipping from the flowers on my hostas.  

Esteemed Contributor

The ant moats that I ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith arrived today. DH had to find some different top hooks to fit on my shepherd's hooks, but the bottom line is that these moats really do work great! I filled the cups with water, hung them up with the feeders, and there is no way the ants can get to the feeders. I had ants still climbing up the shepherd's hooks, but when they get to the top there is no place for them to go....! Thanks so much for the suggestions on the moats - they work exactly as advertised!