Honored Contributor

hummer happening

[ Edited ]

Had a very unique experience Monday morning here is the frozen tundra of WA state--we got 12" of snow overnight Saturday/Sunday ---was outside on my back deck changing kitty litter---when a little green hummingbird did a full face plant from the feeder into the snow, its wings were spread out like he was doing a snow angel, only on his tummyWoman Wink-----it was very still but as I reached to poke it--it got up and kind of shook itself off and then high tailed it for the trees----was amazing--think it must have been asleep on the feeder as the feeder is near the outdoor light and just fell off----so glad he/she was ok ----wow--we have hummers here year round---Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

I think you ran across one that forgot to migrate but should have.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

When you've had one too many at the feeder bar...LOL

Frequent Contributor

Actually, the Anna's Hummingbirds stay here in Puget Sound area all winter long. They've been fighting over our feeders since its been so cold.

Respected Contributor

When you say feeders,  do you mean the sugar nectar?

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin --yes --a hummingbird feeder---as we have hummers year round here I am making sugar water for them weekly.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl , ohhhh that's beautiful!   Mine only come early May, maybe one or two end of April, but the  last two years they left in late August ☹.   I'm in Central Florida. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  What you witnessed was a state called "torpor". The hummers will go into a little hibernation for 15/20 minutes in extreme weather. I live in the PNW also. I found three hummers one of our snow days sitting in the snow. As I approached them, they flew off. The next day I found another and it allowed me to pick it up. I held it in my cupped hands until I felt it move, then opened my hand and it flew off. I was telling a friend about it and she found the info about "torpor" and shared with me. 

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep ---yes I do know about their state of hibernation during the nights--but they haven't done it where I could actually see them. Have a forrest in our back yard where they hang out and nest. 

Respected Contributor

@wagirl , very interesting!  I didn't think they would survive the cold.  Special!  S