Contributor

I need help as what to plant for flowers that squirrels won't eat/destroy.  I'd like to plant some bulbs this fall.  I've been reading your garden forum and thoroughly enjoy it.  So please I need your help.

Honored Contributor

@finewoman wrote:

I need help as what to plant for flowers that squirrels won't eat/destroy.  I'd like to plant some bulbs this fall.  I've been reading your garden forum and thoroughly enjoy it.  So please I need your help.

@finewoman They are the worst pests besides raccoons that were ever invented.  They ate holes around our upstairs windows one hard winter and it costs a bundle of money to replace the siding and repaint.

They ate their way into one of those plastic storage bins on the deck--chewed the corner out at another house many years ago.

We had to quit feeding birds because of them.  The only thing I know of to stop them is illegal in town. . . Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

Squirrels are my arch enemy!  I can't stand the little rats.

The only thing I've found that keeps them from my plants on the uncovered part of my back porch is to sprinkle the Hot sauce liquid I buy at bird store specifically for that purpose.  They dig up my plants and throw them next to the pots!

You must be careful when putting it around the plants though because they can 'burn up' the plants.

I saw on the internet where some people had good luck with putting something similar to chicken wire around the plant.  I can see where that might work (plant it just above the dirt so it sticks up all around the plants.  It's probably very tedious but maybe worth it to you?  Like I said you must be very careful when using that hot liquid. I've also burned up some of my flowers by overdoing it with the hot sauce.

No easy answer.  Please don't anyone saying "They're looking for their nuts they planted".  Not in my case.  Every year I have the person who tends the garden replace most of the old dirt with new dirt, so I know there aren't any nuts in there....not even the smell of nuts.

Esteemed Contributor

Squirrels are an endless battle. Here's what I purchased to just give the bulbs a chance. Sonic pest devices. Peppermint oil. (QVC Grandpa Gus rodant oil) It deter's them from an area. These items work for us. They reduce the numbers and that is the best that we can do living next to woods.

Occasional Visitor

Squirrels (rats with fluffy tails).  They are very destructive to homes and gardens (I know, they ate a hole into my roof to set up a home in my attic).

What I did:  Hot pepper water or caynne pepper.  You can sprinkel the ground pepper onto plants and it won't hurt the plants but squirrels hate it. I mix some into my bird feed and squirrels leave it alone. Of course, rain can wash it away so I buy in bulk from Amazon.  

I did take it a step further and bought a super-soaker water gun and mixed up 'hot pepper water' and spray it at the squirrels if they enter my yard (I keep the water gun just outside my door). The water gun has good distance spraying, so I do coat my roof/gutter area too. And I'm in the process of removing a lovely, tall crape myrtle tree that's close to my home because I see that's how the squirrels get to my roof.  If they are in a neighbors yard, that's fine, but don't come into my yard.

My son and I have seen a huge reduction in the squirrel activity in my yard.  For the most part, I don't mind animals...until they destroy my property.

Respected Contributor

I suggest going to Roberta's website (and others like it) and contacting them to see what ideas they have. You can also reach out to the gardening club and/or coop extension in your area. Hope you're able to figure something out.

grdn.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Like poster said:   similar to chicken wire

Go to Gardeners Supply or Google - Cat Scat - a roll of 'bed of nail' - pointed UP spikes made of hard plastic - won't hurt but keeps creatures from digging.  Name:  to keep cats from using your garden as a potty.

You can cut to fit around a planter or pot.  Check the measurement of the roll - it's not huge so you may need more than one.

It works - nothing has dug in my raised garden!

Honored Contributor

I think daffodils will be left alone by squirrels - as well as by deer and other undesirables.

On the other hand, tulips and crocus are just begging to have their heads nipped off.

Frequent Contributor

I bought the cat scat mat, but the squirrels chewed the spikes off. I've had no luck getting rid of squirrels, but I do spray them with a spray bottle when I see them. They run faster now when they see me at least

Esteemed Contributor

@Allieoh That truly surprises me - that squirrels could or would chew spikes.  They aren't very high - and the 'chewed' ones would seem even more uncomfortable to walk on.

Well - they have completely stayed away from my plant.