Esteemed Contributor

Haven't done the first cut of the season, well, I did mow a small area with grass that was super high compared to the rest of the lawn.  I do have areas that are quite a bit higher than other areas.  Why is that?  I have a dog, but he doesn't hit all the areas where the grass has gone crazy in growth.  I haven't put down crabgrass control yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: grass growing very unevenly

Perhaps different seeds were applied over different times.  Last year I used that Scotts shaker seeds (not the best by far) to fill in a bare spot.  Other times have used bag seeds - some 'get going' earlier than others.  This year I'll overseed the entire property with Kentucky Blue Grass - which is fast starting in the spring.

Sunshine - direct or shaded can also be a factor.

Happy mowing!

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt thank you.  I think you solved the mystery.

Esteemed Contributor

Once the warm weather hits and you've applied the pre-emergent, your lawn will take off. My lawn has been mowed twice and we've had some lovely gentle rains which have contributed to greening it up nicely. My lawn company is also going to aerate it in next week and then I'll over seed it (lightly) with blue grass, which I do most years.

This year, I'm also doing my next door neighbor's lawn since she's stuck in AZ and unable to return home due to the pandemic. She moved in last summer and didn't have a chance to work in her yard. (Busy remodeling the inside of her home.) I've been cleaning out flower beds and plan to overseed her yard, as well, to keep the property looking "lived in". She'll be so surprised when she returns (hopefully June 1st)! Fortunately, she uses the same lawn care service for mowing and the applications. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

What you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Your lawn is thousands of individual plants and each plant grows a bit differently. I start lots of seeds each year and seeds started at the exact same time and grown under the exact same conditions typically exhibit vastly different growth rates. 

Perennial plants, like grasses, tend to break dormancy at slightly different times. A plant that breaks dormancy a week before a neighbor will grow much taller, much faster. Once the other grasses around it break dormancy and get mowed a time or two, it all evens out.

If you were to call a lawn care service about it, they'd send a tech out to check on things and they'd take soil samples and leaf samples and rush it to their lab. (Hint: They often don't have a lab and just invent lab reports to try and convince you to buy a product/service.) You'd get the: "It's a good thing you called us when you did. We might still be able to save your lawn" narrative. Uh, no. Unless your grass is dying, there's typically nothing wrong with it.

Lawn care companies are often the sleazy used car salesman type of con artists who hope to profit from naive customers. They'll invent conditions in your yard, then respond with expensive treatments (hint: often just flour or cornstarch) and brag about saving you thousands in cost over what it would have cost to reseed or resod the whole yard. In fact, in most cases, there was nothing wrong to begin with and you paid hundreds of dollars to have a $2 bag of flour spread on your lawn.

Grasses are tough little plants. It's kind of hard to kill them. That's why we put them places where they get walked on, driven on and abused in all kinds of manners.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!