Honored Contributor

got hummingbirds back within the last few days---I live near Seattle so they are year round for us. but it is now its in  the teens(morning) and only in the 20s daytime so my feeder freezes up. and there is snow on the ground too---think they must vaca somewhere for a few weeks and then come back. I did find a heater for the feeder somewhere--maybe will see if i can find that. 

Respected Contributor

I don't see any until spring/summer where I live in SE VA - you are lucky!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl    You must have the world's dumbest hummingbirds! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@wagirl , how nice for you!  I'm sure they know how to take care of themselves, there for a reason.   I'm in Florida and mine come back late April.  Amazing little birds.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@wagirl    You must have the world's dumbest hummingbirds! 

?????????????????/  What kind of comment is that?  The Pacific West Coast usally has a mild climate.  Unfortunately climate change destroys and changes all the habitats.  One of the reasons why we are witnessing one of the biggest extinction events ever and caused by not dumb Hummingbirds but selfish humans.

Super Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

got hummingbirds back within the last few days---I live near Seattle so they are year round for us. but it is now its in  the teens(morning) and only in the 20s daytime so my feeder freezes up. and there is snow on the ground too---think they must vaca somewhere for a few weeks and then come back. I did find a heater for the feeder somewhere--maybe will see if i can find that. 

I feel for you.  We have such unpredictable weather now and the Hummers are exposed to snow and cold.  They can handle a brief cold snap but not days.  I would put out warm nectar and may be a heat lamp if possible.  Green houses provide shelter also but who has a green house? I had a fraction of the Hummers last summer.  I usually have dozens and only had a couple. I usually use 20 pounds of sugar per summer.  Not last year.   I suspect they perished during the migration.  They had the hurricane on the Texas coast during the time they usually migrate.  Rockport was destroyed and usually people there put out hundreds of nectar feeders so that they can tank up before their huge trip across the gulf.  On top of that they burn the rain forest which does the rest.

Honored Contributor

@TW ----I know--thought that was a weird post too but decided not to get riled up about it--no big deal---yes we do have hummers year round--I think the ruby throated, Annas and maybe one more that are residents---and yes especially this last year when we had the heat dome in June, then the monsoon rains and snow in Nov-Dec----climate change is here to stay---

Honored Contributor

I'm looking at hummingbirds on my calendar, but it's 10 degrees here in WV, so am glad the birds are someplace warm!   

I'm not seeing any birds around my house right now.