Honored Contributor

garden decor advise

[ Edited ]

we have a planter wall on the porch and I can't plant anything there due to critters

any ideas on what I could put in there to cover up the dirt?

shady most of the day, the only plant that worked were basic begonias 

Honored Contributor

Could you 'plant' faux flowers or a green bush?  Some are pretty realistic looking.

Or how about rocks with some moss added between the rocks?  I was going ot suggest a solar light as well but sounds like maybe you don't get enough sun.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Could you 'plant' faux flowers or a green bush?  Some are pretty realistic looking.

Or how about rocks with some moss added between the rocks?  I was going ot suggest a solar light as well but sounds like maybe you don't get enough sun.

good idea, it's a covered porch so solar wouldn't work

as much as I thought those fake spheres were tacky I am rethinking that idea

the rocks could be a good idea but I might need to buy them and trying to keep this as cheap as possible 

Respected Contributor

Have you tried dwarf marigolds? Our deer and elk do not disturb them. I am especially fond of the yellow ones. We do not like the regular size marigolds in our pots. They get too large.

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

Have you tried dwarf marigolds? Our deer and elk do not disturb them. I am especially fond of the yellow ones. We do not like the regular size marigolds in our pots. They get too large.

Thats what I was going to suggest. Nothing bothers Marygolds. The deer have munched on everyones garden of flowers in my neighborhood, but never touch the Marygold. I buy the dwarf and put along my side  walk, and they look really nice. they come in golden or a rusty color.

Respected Contributor

Ivy and violets or other greenery normally used as ground cover?

Honored Contributor

Re: garden decor advise

[ Edited ]

It sure would help us help you if you mention what part of the country you're in and what kind of critters you had a problem with.

Try bleeding hearts or corydalis. Both like shade and aren't attractive to deer. Marigolds can only withstand about 20% shade. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

good idea, it's a covered porch so solar wouldn't work

as much as I thought those fake spheres were tacky I am rethinking that idea

the rocks could be a good idea but I might need to buy them and trying to keep this as cheap as possible 

@jackthebear      You might find some sea glass or decorative rocks that your like and if the cost is an issue, fill the bottom of the planter with any type of filler, bags, pop cans, etc, just to fill so you don't need to buy to much...and the moss would add a nice touch to the rocks.  Regardless of cost I would also use a filler in the bottom - why purchase more than you need to!

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

have not 

but have to confess it's not my favorite flower 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

It sure would help us help you if you mention what part of the country you're in and what kind of critters you had a problem with.

Try bleeding hearts or corydalis. Both like shade and aren't attractive to deer. Marigolds can only withstand about 20% shade. 

Tri-state area

animals come on the porch and eat what ever is on offer

they have dug up begonias

as much as I like planting just dont want to invest in critter food anymore :-(