Respected Contributor

Re: filling gas cans

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

I just cannot relate to this level of anxiety, even in this pandemic.  

I just returned from a necessary trip to the bank and post office; also making 2 stops for fast food and topping off my gas tank.   I did the exact same thing I’ve done for years,  cleaned my hands between each function  with a wet ones wipe, and washed my hands very well as soon as I got home.   

WV has about 200 cases of coronavirus in the state right now, none in my immediate area.   I do not feel a need to develop paranoia now compared to any other time in my life; deadly bacteria, spores, and germs are always lying in wait on the public surfaces we touch.   I’ve been aware of that for more than half my life, so I continue to be diligent with cleaning my hands, but am not going to overthink this virus to the point I’m afraid to do what I need to do.   

You said West Virginia has about 200 cases right now, what West Virginia has is 200 cases that they know about.

Chances are very good that it is much higher and that's what the problem really is.  We are paranoid on the East Coast for a good reason. Pres. Trump said they were only 15 cases and it would be going down to zero.  One month later 236,000 cases for the US. 

But it is coming your way, it will simply arrive later because your population is not as dense as some of the larger cities. So be very very careful. 

Regular Contributor

Wait until it gets into the thousands. You will think differently then.

Respected Contributor

Re: filling gas cans

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

I'm agonizing over how to do this without having any contact with the pump attendant and other drivers.  I'm thinking bring all the cans out, wear gloves, let attendant fill and I reload into car.  Remove gloves after I use cc payment and clean cc and hands with wipes.

Maybe try getting there at opening hours?  I live in a hot zone.

My other option is forgo this and just have the lawn man do my lawn for a few months.  Ugh.

Is this something you normally do??  If not, why would you do it now???  If it is something you normally do, why would this be any different than before?   Didn't you clean your hands and wear gloves before?? 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop You have few cases in your state.  I am surrounded by people who tested positive, over 50 in my town.  Our cases are in the thousands.  Grocery stores can’t let in more than 20 or so customers at one time.  I worry most about bringing the virus to loved ones who are in fragile health.  That is why I am anxious when I need to interact at a gas pump where the attendant may be closer than 6 feet.  

Honored Contributor

Use the wipe to disinfect the gas pump handle, touchscreen & if an attendant is filling the cans, wipe the lids off after he is done so its disinfected when you go to open them. 

Wear your gloves during the payment and when in the car, remove the gloves by turning inside out grasping the gloves edge. 

If they are disposable gloves, you can toss them. If reusable gloves, bring home, turn right side out after initially washing your hands. Put gloves on your hands, and you can wash your gloves with them on your hands. Take off & allow to air dry.

Tip to prevent hands perspiring with latex gloves on-- lightly douse your hands with cornstarch before putting them on. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼