Esteemed Contributor

I'm agonizing over how to do this without having any contact with the pump attendant and other drivers.  I'm thinking bring all the cans out, wear gloves, let attendant fill and I reload into car.  Remove gloves after I use cc payment and clean cc and hands with wipes.

Maybe try getting there at opening hours?  I live in a hot zone.

My other option is forgo this and just have the lawn man do my lawn for a few months.  Ugh.

Respected Contributor

And when you finally get home and go inside wash your hands good.
The likelihood of you catching the virus from the gas cans is very slim, so with putting gloves on it pretty much makes it impossible. Just be careful not to touch your face and dispose of your gloves carefully. Use the hand sanitizer, and you could even spray the handles with a disinfectant when you get home.

You could also just leave the cans outside for a day.

This is no different than going to the grocery store, Just plan ahead a little bit.

Honored Contributor

Have you considered an electric mower?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Or a push mower if you have a small yard.

Respected Contributor

Pump attendant? There's none in my State...it's self serve & I always look for a canopy to keep me out of the weather. I'm curious...If there's  a pump attendant, do you have the choice to pump gas yourself?

Honored Contributor

Re: filling gas cans

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

Pump attendant? There's none in my State...it's self serve & I always look for a canopy to keep me out of the weather. I'm curious...If there's  a pump attendant, do you have the choice to pump gas yourself?

@kitcat51   In NJ you cannot pump your own gas. I’m in my early seventies and have never pumped gas in my life.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51   In NJ you cannot pump your own gas. I’m in my early seventies and have never pumped gas in my life.

Interesting & I'm surprised...had no idea gas attendants still existed. Thanks @proudlyfromNJ.

Trusted Contributor

I had to put gas in my car this morning as the light came on, I normally never let it get below a half a tank.  I hated every second of it, then I got into the car and used hand sanitzer on my hands, my charge card, my car handles.  I should be good with gas for a month.

Honored Contributor

I just cannot relate to this level of anxiety, even in this pandemic.  

I just returned from a necessary trip to the bank and post office; also making 2 stops for fast food and topping off my gas tank.   I did the exact same thing I’ve done for years,  cleaned my hands between each function  with a wet ones wipe, and washed my hands very well as soon as I got home.   

WV has about 200 cases of coronavirus in the state right now, none in my immediate area.   I do not feel a need to develop paranoia now compared to any other time in my life; deadly bacteria, spores, and germs are always lying in wait on the public surfaces we touch.   I’ve been aware of that for more than half my life, so I continue to be diligent with cleaning my hands, but am not going to overthink this virus to the point I’m afraid to do what I need to do.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp  As was suggested by @RedTop , I take Lysol wipes (or Clorox) with me on my errands. I just got gas this week, and I wiped my credit card and hands after pumping and closing the cap. I also wipe the car key for extra measure. Then, wipe your hands after bringing the gas cans into your storage area. Use a wipe to open and close your car doors and house doors. Then, wash your hands after you are finished. A sandwich bag of 3 or 4 wipes usually does it for me.