Honored Contributor

Re: cutting back ornamental grasses

we cut ours down to the ground in the spring around mid-april. they end up just as tall every year.

electric trimmer would be fine as they are tough and sharp on the hands

Super Contributor

DH cut right down to the ground in late March, early April. Also, put out signs: "Stop & smell the flowers. FREE ornamental grasses, iris', cannas, lilies, elephant ears, bamboo, daisies, angel trumpet; YOU divide". "Free firewood, YOU split". Basic part of the sign never changes - just hangs on the name of whatever plant needs dividing at whatever time of the year.

Means someone else gets to do all the hard work, while you enjoy the flowers.

We used to burn the grasses and bamboo when we lived in Northern CA, but where I am now, we can't burn within city limits.

Frequent Contributor

I used to wait until spring to cut my very large grass back, but every year there were dried fronds all over my side and back yards and my neighbor's. It took me all afternoon to rake all of that. So, last year I cut it back with the electric hedge trimmers. It has taken a while for it to start coming back, but it is. I'd really like to do the fire thing, but that scares me. Don't you run the risk of starting a brush fire if there are other plants close by? It's such a mess, getting rid of everything after cutting it back. Hate it.

Valued Contributor

I went into the yard only to discover my DH had set our grasses on fire. I about had a coronary. I had never heard of this before but someon told him to do this. So far, they are all coming back.

Beckyblu

Trusted Contributor

On 6/4/2014 BradyW said:

I used to wait until spring to cut my very large grass back, but every year there were dried fronds all over my side and back yards and my neighbor's. It took me all afternoon to rake all of that. So, last year I cut it back with the electric hedge trimmers. It has taken a while for it to start coming back, but it is. I'd really like to do the fire thing, but that scares me. Don't you run the risk of starting a brush fire if there are other plants close by? It's such a mess, getting rid of everything after cutting it back. Hate it.

Just make sure you don't have other dry plant material or dry leaves close by. Also you should have a hose with the water turned on just in case. I have been doing this for years and no problems. Just use a little common sense and you will be fine. I love it because, like you say, there is no mess to dispose of. Quick and easy. Also, might add that the grasses perform much better. They come back much fuller, taller and thicker.

Honored Contributor

Check local laws in your state, because burning might be prohibited especially in times of drought.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼