Honored Contributor

buying/planting bulbs for next year

Am wondering if it is too early to plant bulbs for next year? Specifically frangrant lilies and glads?  Or even the early spring bulbs? Have a couple big pots of dirt on my tiny deck to use. Haven't had any frost yet, if that is a thing.

Valued Contributor

Re: buying/planting bulbs for next year

It depends where you live . The ground needs to be cold . If the ground is too warm , your bulbs will rot . In New England you can plant anytime before the ground is frozen . 

Honored Contributor

It's time to plant spring bulbs now You need to get them in the ground before the ground freezes and it helps if them get established before that happens.

Where I live, the deer eat my bulbs like candy as soon as they are planted.  They even eat my holly bushes.  I have just about everything  wrapped up in burlap or have a wire fence around it.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl A bit early for SE Pennsylvania@Carmie  Do the deer eat the daffodil bulbs? I plant daffys because they are supposed to be poisonous, and the squirrels won't touch them. Forget tulips at my house, except for native tulips. 

Honored Contributor

No, I have never had my daffs eaten.  And those bulbs last.  They always flower for years.

One year I planted over 600 windflower bulbs and only had one bloom.  The dang deer ate my wreath of dried corn off of my front door once too.

They are near as big as elephants in my neighborhood.

I live in zone 7 in PA.  It is time to plant spring bulbs now.

We just did some major landscaping and hardscaping in my yard and have just planted Grass seed.  We can't keep the deer out of the seeded area.  

We removed seven over 40 ft tall pine trees that the deer would bed under.  I hope they get the message and move on

Esteemed Contributor

I plant in the ground in Novemember here in Maryland . I do wait till it's cold  but before the ground freezes.  I plant in a well drained area  and mix compost in with  garden soil .

In the fall I have planted  Stargazer  lilies in wooden boxes which I filled with  compost ( bag of  soil specifically for raised beds )  and garden soil  mix.

I bought the bags of the raised bed  mixture from Lowe's .

I have aslo planted tulips and Lilies in the spring and have had terrific results .

planting in either  fall  or spring works for me .

Respected Contributor

This has always been an area of mystery to me, as I'm only a novice gardener. I'm in a condo, with only a deck to do window boxes & pots on.

In 2020 spring someone gifted me a large, heavy, ceramic potted arrangement of janquils, (or Johnny Jumpups) hyacinths, ****** willows, tulips and pansies..was beautiful.

When the bulbs died back I planted a few other flowering plants for 2021 summer; only one left right now are some primrose, which lasted all last spring, through summer, still reblooming now.

The bulbs are still in the soil. Last winter during a bad storm I took that pot off the deck, kept it inside... mild winter the rest of the time, so the hyacinths (confused) came up in February!

So my 2021 "spring growth" was then...and that's why I put in new blooms for late spring, summer.

Question now....not sure I should leave the pot on the deck this year, winter is supposed to be brutal. Afraid the pot will crack.

Should I just bring it in? Dig it up, empty pot, save bulbs that way?? Start over in it??

Any advice?? You ladies sound like you are much more experienced than I. Seems you all have yards to plant in, but maybe can give me some advice on theis large pot that included many bulbs to start...I'm assuming they are still good in there.

Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Sorry--should have said that I live near Seattle--  have a few  big  containers of soil  on my deck.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  I've never done this, but I've been told if you are going to bring in the bulbs like daffys, then you should store them in perlite or crumpled up newspapers or excelsior in a box or bag in the fridge. It needs to be dark and cool and dry for them to go dormant and not rot. Don't let the bulbs touch. I'm wondering if you could add a silica packet to absorb moisture? Then replant them when you put out your pots (after danger of heavy frost). They would probably take about 6 weeks to bloom.  I'm not familiar with Seattle weather, so you might want to consult a garden store in your area.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

I live near Seattle and I already have my daffodills planted in pots.  If you are going to plant tulips or lilies you have to protect them with chicken wire.