Honored Contributor

Salt remains in the soil for a long time-- those who had Superstorm Sandy wash out their yards had a lot of trouble replanting plants until they got a salinity test done on their soil.

I'm not a fan of these 'homemade' weed killers. Why would you put soap with dyes in it and salt and other chemicals into your soil?

If its not safe to be around your pets, its not safe for you either!!

You are better off using either a hoe or the old fashioned method-- using a dandelion tool and/or gloved hands to remove weeds.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor
On 6/9/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Salt remains in the soil for a long time-- those who had Superstorm Sandy wash out their yards had a lot of trouble replanting plants until they got a salinity test done on their soil.

I'm not a fan of these 'homemade' weed killers. Why would you put soap with dyes in it and salt and other chemicals into your soil?

If its not safe to be around your pets, its not safe for you either!!

You are better off using either a hoe or the old fashioned method-- using a dandelion tool and/or gloved hands to remove weeds.

I'm sorry if what I have to do to get rid of my weeds offends you or anyone else, but since I'm a widow as of this past December, disabled and cannot physically remove the hundreds of weeds by hand, I have to do what I have to do. I don't have any pets but if I did I would certainly take that into consideration.

Honored Contributor
On 6/9/2014 Hooty said:

Here you go:

Homemade Weed Killer – using Dawn and Vinegar:

::: 1 Gal of White Vinegar + 1 C. Table Salt + 5-6 Tbsp of liquid Dawn Dish Soap
::: Mix in Watering Can…… Stir Well & Spray on the Weeds

You can also use the mixture without salt as well – works just as well. Or, if you have Pine Sol around your house, you can do this number:

::: Equal amounts of Dawn Dish Soap + Pine Sol = Mixed into a spray bottle.

The latter ( Pine Sol + Dawn ) actually serves a secondary purpose – it kills the weeds and any ant hills, fleas, & bugs that might be lurking in your yard – but as with anything commercial OR homemade – please make sure you keep your pets away.

BTW, I have no idea if this works!

Thanks Hooty!! I appreciate it. I'll try it!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

VINEGAR & SALT CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE !

Frequent Contributor

Here's something cheap, effective and eco-sensitive... BOILING WATER. It would take a while to do a large area, but it works! Be sure not to get it on nearby roots of plants you want to keep.

For killing weeds on sidewalks or driveways, salt works great, but as others have mentioned, do NOT use it anywhere you plan to garden in the next 10-20 years. Salt changes the soil LONG TERM and should be used with a lot of caution.

Valued Contributor

I do not use any poisons in my yard.. they leach down into the ground water, plus any bird that eats a poisoned worm will die..I use a hand rake, hand pick, or vinegar and/or soap solution to control the weeds and bugs..we are exposed to enough poisons in our environment..no wonder there are so many people (and animals) with disease.. Organic, all the way for me!!

Honored Contributor

On the advice of a local farmer my DH makes a solution of 1 qt white vinegar - 1cup epsom salts and 1/4c of dawn dishsoap. He out it in a sprayer and it is a miracle product.

Respected Contributor

Seven days in Fiji!

Regular Contributor

Definitely Preen: it's safe to use around hundreds of plants. I use it around my roses, tomato plants, green peppers and hedge. Before you apply, you must get all the weeds and roots out of there. Then sprinkle the Preen, lightly wet it (or apply before it rains) and you're done. I've used this for decades and it works great.

Super Contributor
I have an issue with poisons too. We have pets! And our neighborhood cats love to sleep on our yard. There are the birds and butterflies. We also live less than a block from a creek and park. I only wash my car water at home. I have a incredible problem with Bermuda grass and crabgrass. It is nearly impossible to kill. That is just the front yard. In the back yard we have blackberry bushes. The only time I used poison was after 2 termite swarms. The first time we grabbed perfume, room deodorizer, everything we could find...to spray the thousands of bugs. I broke down and sprayed the outside walls of the house with termite spray. I haven't seen the little buggers since. When I remember as a kid my parents spraying raid inside,the house, not to mention smoking like chimneys in our long car rides. No wonder I have asthma and such weak lungs I have had pneumonia 5 or 6 times.
On 6/10/2014 ptagirl said:

I do not use any poisons in my yard.. they leach down into the ground water, plus any bird that eats a poisoned worm will die..I use a hand rake, hand pick, or vinegar and/or soap solution to control the weeds and bugs..we are exposed to enough poisons in our environment..no wonder there are so many people (and animals) with disease.. Organic, all the way for me!!