Valued Contributor

I received my amaryllis without directions  Do I just put it on the disk and soak it   Do I keep watering it?

Esteemed Contributor

Google plant for correct information.

Respected Contributor

I love Amaryllis (es) as they require very little care.  I began buying them at the grocery store in early October. (@$4.99 potted) 

The first one had large orange blooms in time for Halloween.

I have a crimson red one in full bloom; a candy cane stripe one beginning to bloom, and a white one only a few inches tall.

It always surprises (and delights) me when the bulbs bloom again in spring.

Honored Contributor

I've had one -- and it was not a success.  Bought a bulb in December, thinking it would blossom near Christmas, or shortly afterward.  But it never grew a flower stalk.  It had a fair number of leaves, but no flower.  It was expensive ($15) from a good store.  So ... no more amaryllis for me.

Respected Contributor

@mollymaggie  You mentioned "disk"?  Is it a waxed encased amaryllis bulb?  According to what I read, "Bulbs are carefully coated in protective wax that seals in all the moisture and energy needed to grow. Simply sit them in a well-lit spot and wait for the magic to begin." 

Valued Contributor

My bulb came from qvc  It contained the disk and the pot  Now I need to know what to do

Respected Contributor

I get one every year as a gift. You soak the disc in the pot, it will swell up and then you want to plant the bulb with the crown of the bulb showing. Set it in a place  where it gets light, not necesarily sun. Water about once a week after that. they pretty much do their own thing. , just leave them alone. Don't let them get dry,dry.

You will see you have to remove some of the soil, till you get the bulb in, then return the soil around the top. Hope I haven't confused you, but as you start you will see what I mean.

Respected Contributor

@mollymaggie   See post entered by @HLP.  She wrote out instructions.

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me  I am going to plant right now

Regular Contributor

I was curious about the amaryllis that was offered on a gift show this morning. The bulb is incased in wax, and you do not have to water it at all. At $23.99, I decided not to order it. This afternoon, I saw the same thing at Trader Joe's for $7.99! Needless to say, I am trying it.