Esteemed Contributor

Re: ? about when to bring plants indoors

@Boehm Collector  Your rosemary can stay out past frost. I keep mine out all year. Sometimes it lives, and sometimes it doesn't. But I can use it for Thanksgiving, Christmas and many soups and stews throughout the year. Rosemary doesn't do very well inside. Basil, on the other hand can't survive a frost. Keep checking the forecasts towards the end of September for frost warnings. I don't bring my basil inside, because I don't have a sunny spot to keep it going. I usually cut all the good leaves and make a pesto. After that, I just have to buy it at the grocery store. My basil this year doesn't owe me anything. It didn't flower until last week!!

Super Contributor

Re: ? about when to bring plants indoors

Sorry for not replying sooner, silver fox.  I do not put holes in the bag because it is only a temporary fix to cover the plants in case of frost.  If the weather warms again, like tomorrow and the coming days here in NW NJ, I remove the bags.  This buys some time  to get them ready to relocate them for the cold weather.  We already had frost last night and expecting it again tonight.  Too early but nothing is normal anymore.