Esteemed Contributor

? about when to bring plants indoors

I am new at this so I have no idea what I am doing.   I have several basil and rosemary plants in containers out in my backyard.   The temperatures at night are going down to the the high 50's or high 40's.  When should I bring my plants indoors?  TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: ? about when to bring plants indoors

I remember having to do that back north. Funny down here that I bring some things in, like a hanging fern,when a tropical storm is coming. 

Trusted Contributor

I live on LI and have already brought in a couple of my plants.  You might want to bring in what you have.  If it gets especially warm again, you can put them back outside during the day.  I brought in my aloe plants the other day even though our temps only went down to the fifties at night.  We're supposed to get a cold spell this week, so I will probably bring in all my plants to be safe.  I have a lily, a dish garden and a Christmas cactus in planters.  I also have a lot of coleus in my garden that I haven't figured out yet what to do with.  They're huge and I hate to lose them, but I don't really have room in my house for all of them.

Trusted Contributor

@Boehm Collector  You can always Google the plants' hardiness levels - it will tell you the lowest temperature they can tolerate. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

Before the first frost, so watch the tempertures.  If the plant is under a roof, or otherwise sheltered from the elements, you have more time. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Most of the plants I bring in are tropicals, so I consider 50 to be the lowest temp for them.  Many of mine go in the garage and that is the lowest temp I try to maintain for them there when we have a really cold snap.  For herbs it's probably closer to frost.

Super Contributor

If you are unsure and need time to decide, I cover my plants with plastic trash bags. I have white tall kitchen and black bags based on the size of the plant.  Open the bag over the plant and I use clothespins to secure at the bottom.  This creates a greenhouse effect for the plants.  If it warms up you can remove the bags and reuse.  I am in NJ and this works both in the Fall and early Spring.

Honored Contributor

I'm in WV, and leave my huge Christmas cactus and geranium on my covered porch until Oct. 1st. I just gave both plants their last drink of Miracle Gro this morning. The cactus will get watered 2x before the 1st, and then no water until after she blooms.
Honored Contributor

My first frost date around here (Southern NJ) is mid-October. I tend to leave plants out until just about then as cooler weather minimizes insect issues when you bring the plants in. The bugs tend to hunker down in the soil and leave the pots in cooler weather. If I bring the plants in earlier I tend to bring more bugs in with the plants. Most of my plants are reliable and safe until frost, and some even after. I'll be bringing in my tropical hibiscus, a dipladenia, a geranium, and lots of cuttings. I grew quite a few double begonias this year from seed, so I'll try rooting cuttings of them to have more for next year. Begonia seedlings take forever to grow and I'd be starting the seeds in December, so the cuttings will get a couple of months of a headstart.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@cookie16 do you put holes in the top of the bag once you have it on or just leave it closed?