Honored Contributor

I have many pots with oriental lilies growing. My questions are---do I still water them after the blooms are gone?  And how about the little shoots that are just leaves and no blooms---what do I do with them. Had some plants that never grew much but are still green and leafy. Are the bulbs still ok? Many questions---also, should I dig the bulbs out to store them when the plant turns brown or leave them in the pot. 

Thx

Honored Contributor

I plant lilies right in the garden. The little plants growing on the side will become full size plants.

I just leave them on the "mother" plant, but some people dig them up in the fall and gently divide them and replant.

Plants that are sold in florist shops are bred to look good for one season...it's always a matter of luck if they come back.

My neighbor owns a shop and brings home lilies after Easter that haven't sold. We planted them in a protected area near a wall, mulched them well and they have continued to produce every year.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I keep watering my lillies all Summer long and when the blooms die off I dead head them adn they bloom over and over. I don't dig mine up I just leave them alone and they wake back up when Spring comes.

Esteemed Contributor

i do not do a thing to the lillies I planted  so many yr ago. Every year they bloom

beautifully and you can smell their beautiful fragrance throughout the whole block  <3

Respected Contributor

Re: ??about lilies

[ Edited ]

Continue to water.

Leave the remaining stocks alone until they are completely dead. Those stocks are feeding the bulbs.

Fertilize NOW...seems weird, but you will be feeding these bulbs for next years crop.

I currently have a room full of huge Casa Blanca lilies...they're so BIG...I'm in lily heaven. Heart

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I have many pots with oriental lilies growing. My questions are---do I still water them after the blooms are gone?  And how about the little shoots that are just leaves and no blooms---what do I do with them. Had some plants that never grew much but are still green and leafy. Are the bulbs still ok? Many questions---also, should I dig the bulbs out to store them when the plant turns brown or leave them in the pot. 

Thx

Yes, water still after blooms are gone. If you are in WA, they will be better in the ground than in a pot, especially if you want them to naturalize (make more of themselves) or get larger. If you leave them in the pot do not leave outside as the roots could freeze. Better to put the pots in an enclosed garage or basement and then water monthly until the weather warms and put outside again (maybe April?)

I do agree with using a granular fertilizer either before they bloom in spring or right after they finish flowering. 

If you want to bring indoors for a vase, be sure to remove the pistils & stamens. The pollen can stain clothing or tablecloths.

The little shoots are the start of new lilies (naturalizing); as they get larger, eventually you might be able to separate those bulblets or 'daughters' and plant in another area of your garden.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl Since they are potted up, I would go light on the water so the bulbs don't rot.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

yes I am in wa state and as we are having really hot ,dry weather, I've been watering every few days. Prob won't be putting them in the ground; l do have a covered deck so I move the pots next to the house and cover them with newspaper during the colder months.

thx everyone!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: ??about lilies

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

yes I am in wa state and as we are having really hot ,dry weather, I've been watering every few days. Prob won't be putting them in the ground; l do have a covered deck so I move the pots next to the house and cover them with newspaper during the colder months.

I live in western WA. My lilies don't do well in the ground, no matter how I amend it. But in pots, they go crazy! I have 3 large clay pots that are on cement, next to the garage. They stay out all winter, & always come back beautifully. I also keep other lilies in smaller pots on my covered deck. 

I just brought my last bunch of lilies in the house. Next, I'll fertilize & continue to water. When the weather changes, they're on their own.  Btw, I don't cover my lilly plants with anything....no peat moss, leaves- nothing. 

I cut one giant Casa Blanca lily stock a couple days ago (from a pot). It was over 6 ft tall, & the stock was like a tree trunk. That one stock has at least 25 buds on it! It was kind of hard to put that in a vase, but I did. It smells amazing in that room.  Heart

I

Honored Contributor

golden--oh how lucky you are!! I can't imagine that one lily must look like a tree!!  I have a few that are as tall as I am but only have maybe 5 buds at the most on each stem. I let them bloom for a few days outside, than bring them in---amazing smell. I have prob 10 pots with 3 to 4 bulbs in each and prob 80 some buds on them altogether. Love it!!!