Honored Contributor

Ours seems to periodically lose all it's leaves, stay "dormant" a few weeks then get it's leaves all back and bloom like crazy. Is this a cycle they go through? I've never seen anyone else's do this. My DH almost pulled it out and threw it away the first time because he thought it had died.

Honored Contributor

Re: ? about desert rose plants

Found this online The plant is deciduous in cooler winters, but it can be kept in leaf provided there is sufficient warmth and light water.

Sounds like it does this when it gets to cool outside or when it needs water.

It's pretty. I have never heard of it.

Growing Conditions

• Light: Full sun. Perfect for a sunny window.
  • Water: Water during the summer and spring. Reduce water in the winter, but keep hydrated enough to retain its leaves.
  • Temperature: Keep at least 50 F at all times; if you keep temperatures of 60 F or higher during the winter, the plant may retain its leaves.
  • Soil: A well-drained succulent mix, with an ideal pH around 6.0 (slightly acidic).
  • Fertilizer: Fertilize during spring and summer with controlled-release fertilizer or liquid fertilizer according to label directions.
Honored Contributor

Yes, the plant isn't very pretty but the flowers are gorgeous.

I've also planted a prickly pear and we are hoping it will bloom soon. The plant is not at all attractive but the flowers are outstanding. My friend's got knocked down last year during the hurricane and she gave me some to try and grow.

One good thing about cactuses - they can take very harsh conditions, as long as they get sun. And here in Florida - we got the sun!

Honored Contributor

I would think Florida would get too much rain to grow cacti.  They like arid conditions.  I've had pieces of prickly pear blow into my yard, root and start growing.  I get rid of it fast because, once established, it's invasive and very difficult to eradicate.  The blooms are pretty but they just last a very short time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
New Contributor

I got the double pink desert rose a couple years ago, and it has never gotten flowers on it, just leaves. I have tried everything they said to do and still nothing. Now it's dying and I'm very upset about it, it was not a cheap plant and I was so excited when I got it, but it never did anything. Very disappointed.

Valued Contributor

i love these plants.