Respected Contributor

a question about transplanting

I have some tomato and pumpkin starts that I want to transplant; they also happen to be pretty dry, too. So here's what I hope someone can tell me:

1) Should I wait till the weather cools off? (it's going to be in the 80's this week and that's a little unusually hot for this area)

2) should I soak them through and through before I transplant them?

3) Should I feed them before or after I transplant them?

TIA

PS: is it ok to start the pumpkin seeds or should I wait a week or two? My feeling is that it won't hurt anything to wait but it might be better to be a little cautious before I plant the seeds?

OH! and guess what? A volunteer Iris is coming up in a corner of my back yard; it's kind of purple and yellow. I'm going to leave it alone and see what happens. I don't know where it came from but bunnies or squirrels are my guess.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: a question about transplanting

Many expert gardeners on here so expected someone would help you.   Are these seeds only - no plants?

Suggestion - Google for info - I'm NO gardening expert - sorry

Respected Contributor

I have 2 pckgs. of pumpkin seeds.

I have 2 pumpkin starts.

I have about 5 tomato starts.

The weather has been warm--about 80 degrees. Next week it'll cool off to the upper 60's. I'm just not sure when I should plant these things and when to feed them. There's nothing better than home-grown tomatoes. I plant pumpkins--BIG pumpkins--for all the neighborhood kids to look at and "ooh" and "aah" over; it's so much fun :-)

Esteemed Contributor

To reseed lawn = 72 degree temp is suggested.  I woulds not soak seeds but water in after planting.  Same for other seeds I guess.

If you expect heavy rain in your area....hold off planting until warm & sunny.

Tomato plants love water but only after they get established - same for fertilizer - not on seeds - wait for some growth.

Happy planting..........

Trusted Contributor

I'm  curious about planting pumpkins too. I bought a pack of seeds and it says they will take 100 days. So maybe it's too early to plant them now. I just thought it would be fun for the grandkids to plant them and watch them grow and in October come and pick some pumpkins!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

GoneButNotForgottenn  If your plants are hardened off, you can plant them, as long as the night temps are above 55. They need to get used to the hot sunshine and may get sunburned. So make sure you get them used to it before planting out. I've only ever planted pumpkins, zucchini and other squash from seed. It should be fine to plant those seeds. I usually mound the soil and plant 3 seeds on each mound and thin after they sprout. For the pumpkin plants, same instructions as the tomatoes.