Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , here are some of my favorites.  These days with long dry periods you may want to consider drought tolerant perennials.

Coreopsis...I love this one.  Long lasting blooms, beautiful flowers, clump forming.

A74ADAD2-09BF-4DA5-9DC7-33BAD09E1DA8.jpeg

Japanese Blood Grass.  Well behaved and adds a nice touch of colour to the garden.

9E044D31-83B0-414A-A1CC-6F427FFAD892.jpeg

Russian Sage.  I love this one.  Billowy in the breeze, long lasting blooms, drought tolerant, long living.

819CC059-5CFC-4AD4-84FE-78A941693810.jpeg

Bloodroot, a good ground cover.

7DC39DCA-3244-4D13-ACBD-510EEE960F6E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1   Thank you, I especially like that bloodroot plant.  I have never heard of that before.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo   I am not a cat lover and neighbors on both sides feed the stray cats, grrr.  I did put a plastic mat down in that area that had plastic spikes....it did no good.  Thanks for the tip about the dirt, I did not now that I would have to replace the dirt as well as the mulch.

Trusted Contributor

How about a smaller sized hydrangea?

Proven Winners Little Lime Hydrangea are beautiful.  I have several of those.  They bloom a greenish white for most of the summer and turn pink in the fall.  They only require part sun to thrive.  If you get around 4-6 hours of sun in that location, they will do well.

Endless Summer Hydrangeas would do well in part sun too.  I have over 20 of those in various locations throughout my property.  Some of them are in full sun and some get barely any.  All bloom beautifully.

You could compliment the hydrangea with Heuchera and/or Astilbe in front of them.  The Heuchera have gorgeous foliage and will last from spring through fall.  They do bloom stalks from the center for a short time, but that's not why people buy them.  They are gorgeous with only their leaves.

My favorite Heuchera are from Proven Winners.  They are called Dolce Wildberry Coral Bells.  They are a deep/bold purple color and they are one of my favorite plants.  I bought 15 of them last year and some of them even stayed throughout our winter this year (Zone 7A, Long Island).  They are starting to grow new leaves now and they are just glistening with color.  Love them!

Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Scooby Doo   I am not a cat lover and neighbors on both sides feed the stray cats, grrr.  I did put a plastic mat down in that area that had plastic spikes....it did no good.  Thanks for the tip about the dirt, I did not now that I would have to replace the dirt as well as the mulch.

@Mom2Dogs You could put some of that black garden fabric down after you plant, and then spread bark on top of the fabric.  That way the cat's stuff won't get into the dirt.  It's not too expensive and comes in a roll. Easy to cut and place.

Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

How about a Black Eyed Susan/Rudbeckia?  I have them in mostly shade (as well as some in sun) and they do great.  They don't get too tall.  They do tend to spread though.  

Hydrangea bushes also do well in shade.  Some varieties don't get too tall.

How short do you want them? My day lillies that are in mostly shade do well too - they're shorter.

Hostas are low to the ground but the flowers are taller - they do great in shade.

Do a search for shade perennials in zone 6 - there are tons of options.  

I am in zone 6 and planted all of these you mentioned. Part shade/sun and they have done great. Someone gave me a bunch of lazy susans last fall and I'm sure they will do great.