Honored Contributor

I am in zone 6 and looking for a short in height flower/I prefer a perennial. It is not a huge area but I prefer to not have to replant every year with an annual.

I have an area that does not get a lot of sun (some sun just not all day) and currently has mulch in that area.  

Right now the neighborhood cats are using it for their litter box and nothing I have done will keep them away....this small area would look nice with some color.

I don't want phlox, I have that growing other places but would like a big splash of color that lasts as long as possible thru the growing season.

Could someone give me some ideas.  I have been looking at Gurney's website and see a lot of pretty things but most items grow to tall. I prefer something closer to the ground.  thank you

Honored Contributor

I don't know of any perennials that bloom continuously, especially in somewhat shady conditions.  But I might recommend bachelor buttons - they bloom in spring / early summer, and the blooms last quite a while. 

Honored Contributor

Do you not have a local nursery or garden store to ask for suggestions?  Or a neighbor?  Zone 6 is a big area, isn't it???

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50   No local contact, when it gets warmer and the garden centers open up I can ask.  It does not hurt to ask more than one source.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr   Bachelor buttons, that is something I have never grown, I'll take a look. thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Zone 6 perennials

[ Edited ]

How about a Black Eyed Susan/Rudbeckia?  I have them in mostly shade (as well as some in sun) and they do great.  They don't get too tall.  They do tend to spread though.  

Hydrangea bushes also do well in shade.  Some varieties don't get too tall.

How short do you want them? My day lillies that are in mostly shade do well too - they're shorter.

Hostas are low to the ground but the flowers are taller - they do great in shade.

Do a search for shade perennials in zone 6 - there are tons of options.  

Esteemed Contributor

You might look at heuchera or tiarella.  Heuchera is also commonly known as "coral bells" and there are many variities that have splashy foliage as well as flowers, and they can do quite well in part shade.  

They have a nice tidy habit.

You might even think about a "Robin Hill" azalea - Joseph and Michael Hill stay low and bloom late, June/July.  They have a nice low mounding habit and are evergreen.

A small rhodo like "Impeditum" could work, too, but the drainage has to be good.

Columbine, or sweet woodruff.

Have fun and I hope you find something you love.  I have problems with feral cats so I sympathize.  

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   Thank you, I appreciate the recommendations.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe   I have hostas and day lilies in other locations, but the day lilly height is just a tad to tall....I think the garden center that I like (about an hour away) will open up in April...can't wait!

Respected Contributor

Just a warning that I have experienced.  If cats have been using the dirt then they probably have "killed" the dirt and nothing will grow in it.  I've had to shovel dirt out and replace it.  Also the cats will keep coming back to that spot as a habit.  I've had lots of feral cats to deal with.  I put chicken wire down where I don't want them to dig.  Maybe after you plant something spread some pea gravel.