Honored Contributor

Re: ZILLIONS OF KNATS COMING FROM MY PLANTS!!!

Were these plants ever outside or were they always indoors? If outdoors, the critters might have found residence on your plants before they were brought indoors.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

All these plants are from either Lowes or Home Dept, and were all outside.  Also, since I live in Florida, I was bringing them all outside for a good watering and  washing leaves.   I stopped putting them outside for a while now, and won't be putting them out anymore.

I re-potted the peace lily today and the HUGE snake plant which is about 3 ft. tall.  I had it in a big HEAVY clay pot.  NEVER AGAIN!!  The dang thing is soooo heavy and sooo tall to work with.  Broke my back!!   So after I was all finished, washing, new  soil, treating, watering and potting, I left it outside my front door to drain well.  Then what happens...as heavy as it is..the wind caught up in it, and knocked the entire plant over...clay pot shattered!!   UGHHH!!!    I put it in a temporary container, and will buy a light weight plastic pot tommorro.   If it lives after all this, I'll be shocked.

Not enjoying my plantsSmiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Per our local garden expert: yes, they lay their eggs in the soil. He suggests putting a good half inch of sand around the plant completely covering the soil.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Regular Contributor

Overwatering caused the gnats. Just let the soil dry between watering....AND PLEASE STOP USING CHEMICALS! WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE ON THIS EARTH. EXTREMELY IRRESPONSIBLE TO USE CHEMICALS WITHOUT IDENTIFYING THE PROBLEM! There are organic solutions to every garden problem.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  You are having a hard time with the plants and gnats.  I haven't seen anymore gnats since I poured water mixed with Dawn dishwashing detergent and a little liquid Sevin through the pot. I tossed one plant which seemed to be more infested.  I doubt you will kill the snake plant as they are tough.  Hope you get rid of the gnats soon.  They are so annoying.

Respected Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Dazlin  You are having a hard time with the plants and gnats.  I haven't seen anymore gnats since I poured water mixed with Dawn dishwashing detergent and a little liquid Sevin through the pot. I tossed one plant which seemed to be more infested.  I doubt you will kill the snake plant as they are tough.  Hope you get rid of the gnats soon.  They are so annoying.

Thank-you!!.  Yes I use the dawn mixture at times.  Well, I'm all done re-potting, and set some ACV traps near these 3 plants too.    I heard the snake plants are called plants of steal...hard to kill.  I hope they make it!.   I'm actually  not too fond of them to be honest.  I only bought them because they release oxygen during the night, which is opposite most plants, so I put these two in my bedroom.    Hoping this annoyance is over....appreciate the great advice here!!!