Honored Contributor

Re: Your Least Favorite Gardening Chore

I am not a fan of yard work!  I think weeding is horrible!  Next is clipping the shrubs, bushes, etc.  I love after they are done -- they look so good!  But its hard work -- plain and simple! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Spring clean-up.   When spring finally arrives I'm anxious to plant, transplant, dig in the dirt.  But first... I have to rake and clean the gardens.  Breaks my back and knees. 

Weeding is OK.  I just sit down on the ground, crawl around the plants, all while my mind is wandering.  It cleans my head.  Probably better than therapy.   And I always feel so much better when it's done.

@danedylan  - I remember when Paul James "The Gardener Guy" on TV would use vinegar or boiling water to kill weeds.  It never worked for me, but maybe I should try it again.   Thanks.

Gardening used to be fun and exciting to me.  Now it's just work.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

For me it's finding the right size plants and ones that will survive in my garden.  I pay attention to the size they will grow, but that hasn't always worked.  Some grow too tall in the front overtaking those that didn't grown large enough in the back.  As a result I never seem to get the look I want. I think planting a garden is an art.

Trusted Contributor

Hate, detest and loath weeding.  My poor garden is overgrown with weeds and those nasty vines after 2 years of neglect by me due to bad knees.  However, with new knees now I have no excuse and so am tackling that chore daily.  But those vines that grow in the middle of bushes - I can cut them back but they return, can't dig them up because of the roots of the bushes.  Any suggestions?

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

While I hate weeding and cleaning the leaves out of the beds, I think my least favorite thing to do is digging the marauding bamboo from the next door neighbor's back yard. In fact, that was what I did today.

Luckily, the people who just bought the house apparently don't want bamboo either (which had taken over the back yard).  He has cut it all down.  However, I bet we all know that is a temporary solution.  I asked him about it hoping he knew of some magical way to kill it all, but he said he put salt on it.  He knows that is not a permanent solution. 

When I was a girl my parents bought a house with bamboo in the backyard.  They hated it and eventually my father went back there with a pick axe to take it out.  At one point he called my mother to come take a look and showed her this nasty nest of some kind of beetles.  Ugh it was awful.  They could not figure out why we kept finding these in the house!  Finally got rid of them!

Respected Contributor

Weeding

Respected Contributor

@chlema wrote:

Hate, detest and loath weeding.  My poor garden is overgrown with weeds and those nasty vines after 2 years of neglect by me due to bad knees.  However, with new knees now I have no excuse and so am tackling that chore daily.  But those vines that grow in the middle of bushes - I can cut them back but they return, can't dig them up because of the roots of the bushes.  Any suggestions?

@chlema This is what I do:

Put some RoundUp or Groundclear in a soda can and bury it in the dirt next to the vine.  Then cut the vine but leave it long enough that you can push the leftover vine down into the can.  Leave it for a couple of days.  The vine will drink the herbicide and transfer it to the root.  Or you can cut the vine and leave about 2 inches.  Then carefully spray it with the herbicide.  You can buy Roundup in a gallon jug with a long sprayer which keeps the spray accurate.

Respected Contributor

Well believe it or not, I'm not too crazy about watering. I dread being out in the heat, here in Florida index can reach 100 degrees, and humidity is awful. I also HATE dealing with garden hoses...dragging them out, constantly kinking, picking up mud along the way, UGHH...then wind the whole thing up, now that's back breaking. I have alot of property, so i have very long hoses to reach all the way down my driveway and across the front of my house. Sometimes I use 2 large watering pails instead, but that's no joke either, carrying them back and forth. So yeah, I dont look forward to watering. One of these days I'm going to really cut down on how many plants I have...but they're so pretty.
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am not a fan of yard work!  I think weeding is horrible!  Next is clipping the shrubs, bushes, etc.  I love after they are done -- they look so good!  But its hard work -- plain and simple! 

@AngelPuppy1 Like this? 

2017 Shrub Trimming.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Yes, some are like that!  Some are short and squat and very cranky --- like me!  Who will be the victor????  Probably not me!!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin