Trusted Contributor

Re: Your Least Favorite Gardening Chore

Once all the rhododendron's are all done blooming, they drop all the flowers off into the flower bed. So I have to rake and clean that all up so it doesn't look so messy. I don't like that chore but I look the clean look afterward! 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@danedylan wrote:

Girls--I use white vinegar in a spray bottle to kill weeds!--yes it works and is a natural way of killing them--when I couldn't find white vinegar recently I bought the red wine & it was good also--I just bought yesterday @ Target a gallon size of the white vinegar for I think it was $2.99 & should last a long time--give it a try!-------------marynj

@danedylan  I will!

@SeaMaiden and @danedylan  This is what we use and have for years, only we add a carton of salt to the vinegar mixture.  DH puts it in one of the pump and spray things and goes to town.  It takes longer to work than Round Up but it does work.  I will not have chemicals in or around y house.  I have had pets with lymphoma and my DH had a blood cancer and ultimately a transplant.  

Having a yard with no weeds isn't that big of thing to me.  Being healthy is.  I can't believe that people still use RoundUp and that they still sell it.  

Priorities, I guess. And people always want what is easiest even if it is deadly.  Rant over.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  You have to be sure not to use too much Salt and Vinegar on the ground as it upsets the PH of the soil for good plants. 

Honored Contributor

I enjoy gardening now.  Since I have retired from it I don't mind it. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  We use it for killing grass in the sidewalk cracks and along the edge of the lawn.  We use it sparingly around plants, but mostly hand pull when it is close to actual plantings.

Your yard is beautiful, by the way.  It has to feel good to get outside after being in so much most of the winter.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  I do enjoy getting outside for a few hours in the spring and summer....even in the winter. Weeds are a year long job here!  Yard clean up.

I just put lots of bark down front and backyard last week.  I rebark  the yard about every three years, it helps for a while with the weeds.....but eventually the weeds win and I have to get out there.  

I must say, my yard looks really nice right now with all the fresh bark, and blooming plants!

Esteemed Contributor

It is satisfying to look at a job well done.  My DH does the mulching......not an easy job.  I know, because I have watched him do it!  LOL Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

It is satisfying to look at a job well done.  My DH does the mulching......not an easy job.  I know, because I have watched him do it!  LOL Woman Wink

@tends2dogs   I payed  someone to put it down....three people and two full days....they weeded too....$1600.00. Lots of bark!  

It would have taken me a month....and that huge pile of bark to contend with in the driveway.....so I took the easy way out😄

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@tends2dogs   I payed  someone to put it down....three people and two full days....they weeded too....$1600.00. Lots of bark!  

It would have taken me a month....and that huge pile of bark to contend with in the driveway.....so I took the easy way out😄

Hey you aren't just another pretty face.......smart, too! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@speedy girl wrote:

Once all the rhododendron's are all done blooming, they drop all the flowers off into the flower bed. So I have to rake and clean that all up so it doesn't look so messy. I don't like that chore but I look the clean look afterward! 

@speedy girl  I have a yard full of Rhododendrons....they are almost done blooming and starting to drop.  It is hard to rake them up without raking up bark too....so more time consuming to clean them up. I end up had picking mostly so I save the bark😄 do you live in the PNW too?