Honored Contributor

Re: Your Least Favorite Gardening Chore

All of it.  Being outside around greenery and trees, handover the tissue!  Sniff!

Super Contributor

I guess I'm in the minority - I thoroughly enjoy raking the beds and weeding; very therapeutic for me Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Deadheading is actually my least favorite thing to do in the garden. 

Although I do find deadheading flowers somewhat satisfying because I know I'm getting them ready for new growth, I also find it to be a daunting task in certain areas of my property. 

I have a large retaining wall in my backyard.  Sometimes it's just not worth me risking my life to get up on the third tier to get to some of the things I have.  We moved here almost 4 years ago and I started all gardens from scratch.  I have so many varieties of flowers and there are a few in my retaining wall that require deadheading.  I didn't realize it at the time.  When I purchase new perennials now, I try to make sure that most don't need to be deadheaded (or at least can be done minimally).  I don't mind it so much in other areas of my home.  It's just that darn retaining wall!

I do LOVE being in the garden though.  It's my absolute favorite thing!

Honored Contributor

@tl98466 wrote:

I guess I'm in the minority - I thoroughly enjoy raking the beds and weeding; very therapeutic for me Smiley Happy

@tl98466   Yes, like vacuuming the carpet and seeing all the dirt and dog hair in the clear canister... weeding is like that....JUST MORE BACK BREAKING😄

Esteemed Contributor

I despised raking leaves when we had our property.  My favorite thing though, is not having to do it anymore!!!!  Condo living at it's best!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Mowing the steep embankment in the front of my property with the push mower! It's right along the road too so I have to watch out for cars when I'm manuevering the mower.

Super Contributor

Girls--I use white vinegar in a spray bottle to kill weeds!--yes it works and is a natural way of killing them--when I couldn't find white vinegar recently I bought the red wine & it was good also--I just bought yesterday @ Target a gallon size of the white vinegar for I think it was $2.99 & should last a long time--give it a try!-------------marynj

Honored Contributor

@danedylan wrote:

Girls--I use white vinegar in a spray bottle to kill weeds!--yes it works and is a natural way of killing them--when I couldn't find white vinegar recently I bought the red wine & it was good also--I just bought yesterday @ Target a gallon size of the white vinegar for I think it was $2.99 & should last a long time--give it a try!-------------marynj

@danedylan  I will!

Honored Contributor

While I hate weeding and cleaning the leaves out of the beds, I think my least favorite thing to do is digging the marauding bamboo from the next door neighbor's back yard. In fact, that was what I did today.

Luckily, the people who just bought the house apparently don't want bamboo either (which had taken over the back yard).  He has cut it all down.  However, I bet we all know that is a temporary solution.  I asked him about it hoping he knew of some magical way to kill it all, but he said he put salt on it.  He knows that is not a permanent solution. 

I love the smell of fresh mulch and don't mind spreading that at all.  I do have to do it with buckets though.  Can't get a wheelbarrow in most of my beds.  I wish I could get it delivered, but it would block the cars in the driveway, so I have to get the bagged stuff, 15 bags at a time in my short bed pickup. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't mind weeding.  I actually kind of like it, if the weeds come up without a big fight.  I don't mind mulching, because it makes the beds look SO much nicer.  I don't even mind digging. 

I don't mind very many things about gardening except for ONE thing for sure.  That's pruning back the roses.  I have maybe a dozen rose bushes of various kinds, and pruning is just awful.  I'm either snagging my skin, which is really painful, or else it's my hair or clothes if I'm crawling between bushes or near the ground.

I hate it, I really hate it.