Trusted Contributor

Now this is a first for me.  Opened my front door yesterday to see a young robin on my doorstep looking up at me like he was waiting for something, and he was!  Along came the daddy robin with a beak full of food for the young one, then went off to look for more.  The young bird flew up into my tree to await the next feeding,  with daddy watching where his offspring went.

Honored Contributor

I went out one day to find a young robin on my patio.  It wasn't at all afraid if me and did, in fact, follow me around the yard.  There was no parent in sight and little birdie was a sitting duck for predators.  I left it in the yard.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@chlema,

What a wonderful thing to greet you!

And what a good father the little one has. The parents work so hard don't they?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@chlema  "The young bird flew up into my tree to await the next feeding"

That's unusual.  Once they can "fly," parents feeding them is no more.  They are on their own.  At least that is what happens to robins in my neck of the boonies.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

That's a fabulous good morning for sure. 

29E9E838-0ED6-40F7-B4B5-35366545A86C.jpegI don't think my robin likes me. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@chlema  "The young bird flew up into my tree to await the next feeding"

That's unusual.  Once they can "fly," parents feeding them is no more.  They are on their own.  At least that is what happens to robins in my neck of the boonies.

That's what I thought too but I saw it with my own eyes lol.  Maybe the dad didn't know the young guy could fly yet, who knows.  He did have all his feathers tho the tail was still a bit short.  Maybe he was just being a lazy child and figured if dad provided why waste my time looking.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

My cardinals will continue to feed young that can fly.  Don't know how long, but they fly to the feeder together and the parent will feed them. 

Maybe teaching them how to "eat?"  In Florida.

Respected Contributor

I just love watching these birds.  My male cardinals feed the female,  so precious to see.   I've just had my 4th  bluebird babies fledge this week.  I believe there 4 babies. 😀.  Just washed out the house today.