Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom.  Thanks for posting these lovely pictures.  It must have taken practically forever.

Your garden is just as beautiful in the snow as in the summer, in a different way, of course.  Would you believe I had 7" of snow at my house here in the desert on Thanksgiving Day?  It was very exciting.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

What beautiful pictures, Lilysmom!  I love the way the snow accumulates on even the stained glass statuary, it's just facinating how happens.  Thank you for sharing your winter wonderland, we are getting drenched in (badly needed) rain right now, but it is far from festive.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom Thanks for sharing your snow with those of us in the Mojave Desert.  We don't see snow very often, and when we do, it lasts about 15 seconds.

I can almost hear the hushed silence in your yard!

I have been spending my dayas tilling my garden and planting veggies.  Couldn't do it last year because DH was so sick and needed constant care.  All these produce recalls convinced me to get some veggies planted, even if a little late.

Merry Christmas🎄!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 , the photo shoot was actually a very short one.  Lily was trailing behind me stopping to do a snow angel every now and then, as Labs are known to do.  The snow was only about 5" and fluffy.

I much prefer this type of winter to the freezing rain kind we are known to get in coastal Nova Scotia.

Haven't had the woodstove fired up yet but plan to this weekend.  Time to get quilting,  

I can't believe you got 7".  That must have been quite an event!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Winter sets in...

[ Edited ]

@VegasBusinessWoman , aren't you smart to do the veggie garden.  I hear where you are coming from.  I am scared to death of Romaine lettuce!  

You must know snow @VegasBusinessWoman .  When the fir trees are laden, you can feel the silence.  We have a very private lot surrounded by evergreens which we deliberately planted for that reason.  Our company always remarks how quiet it is to sleep here.  It helps that we are blessed with great neighbors.  That and the treeline make it very peaceful.  We are blessed indeed.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP , although I don't know where you are, I hope you get enough rain to sustain you in the dry season.  Even Nova Scotia seems to have ever increasingly dry spells.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  Thanks so much for the beautiful snowy pictures! I think you got as snow what we got as rain. I'm can't resist snow pictures! Wish PA had more snow these days. Every year I say, maybe this will be the year. But I'm usually disappointed. Our late Lab, Snickers, used to love making snow angels! I had forgotten. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  Beautiful pictures! The snow on the stained glass is gorgeous! I think of it only in the sun. 
  I'm considering planting more Cedar trees between my neighbors who are in their yard a lot good weather. They built tree houses and a tall fort swing. 
  Even though my lot is wooded and an acre I miss the privacy. Maybe bamboo, HA!

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@VegasBusinessWoman , aren't you smart to do the veggie garden.  I hear where you are coming from.  I am scared to death of Romaine lettuce!  

You must know snow @VegasBusinessWoman .  When the fir trees are laden, you can feel the silence.  We have a very private lot surrounded by evergreens which we deliberately planted for that reason.  Our company always remarks how quiet it is to sleep here.  It helps that we are blessed with great neighbors.  That and the treeline make it very peaceful.  We are blessed indeed.  LM

When I married DH, he had a house on a mesa in Billings, Montana.  We spent a few Christmas holidays there--never been so cold in my entire life.🥶  I actually had to buy a heavy winter coat, boots gloves, all things i didn't have. (Come to think of it, I wonder what happened to that coat?  Haven't seen it in years)  It was lovely to look at from inside the warm, toasty house.

image.png

I wasn't Heartbroken when we sold that house.

Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers , we lined our property on both sides with Norway Spruce.  The tree has a beautiful drape, especially when snow laden.  The tree in these photos is Canadian Hemlock.  (I don't recommend this tree, much as I love it because there is a bug (wooly adelgid) that attacks this tree now.  It has recently been found in Nova Scotia and is deadly to the host.)

It doesn't take as long as you think for these trees to mature.  We planted them as seedlings 15 years ago and they are 20' high now.  LM