Honored Contributor

Re: Winter in the Garden, Jan 30/16

We had rain two weeks ago............now the weeds are in full bloom............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lilysmom   Beautiful pictures.   I envy your snow.   So nice you enjoy your garden 12 month a year.   

We've got cloudless skies and 60° today but it's windy,  a harbinger of a storm approaching for Monday. 

@Kachina624, I will send you snow if you will give me 60 degrees!  Seriously, after our dreadful winter last year, no complaints here.  If I can safely get my dog dog walks in, I'm good to go.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Lilysmom  Thanks.  I love the name Lily.  One of my granddaughters is named Madeleine Lily.  Isn't that beautiful?

Love that name Madeleine Lily.  Just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

We had rain two weeks ago............now the weeds are in full bloom............

I tend to forget the hard work of gardening in winter.  I know exactly what you mean about the weeds.  Snow does have advantages.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  NICE!  Making your own quilt.  I go GAGA for quilts!!!  I have many too.  My Grandmother (Dad's Mom) made quilts all the time in all styles, appliques, cross-stitch. She made tons in her lifetime.  She had 6 grand daughters and all one after another, she made each of us a gorgeous applique.  Mine was Autumn Leaves.  After so many years of my using it, the poor thing totally wore out, fell apart.  However, once she made someone a floral that I just fell in love with. It was a tough one and very time consuming to do because of all of the pieces and colors.  I remember begging her to PLEASE make the same one for me.  She never made duplicates for anybody but Grandmother did this one again for just me!!!  I will never forget her doing that for me.  It was because of her that I have my love for handmade quilts.

Please post your's so we can see your lovely finished product. 

And yes, thanks to el nino, we've had crazy warm weather well into early January so DH was kept bringing boxes of daffs & tulips home.  I freaked when he told me how many he had planted.  Trust me, we do not by any stretch have a big yard, the front very small but we also have an easement parallel to the sidewalk in the front so he plants that.  Many bulbs there, and then all around the perimeter of the backyard.  It will be colorful for sure this spring!  Cannot wait! 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Your pictures are simply beautiful.  I am so intrigued by the area in which you live.

Here in NJ, winter had been too mild for me.  I kept saying I wanted one pretty snowfall.  Well, you know what happened here last weekend.  And, we were in the Caribbean. (and came home Friday to ugly, dirty, melting snow)

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Lilysmom  NICE!  Making your own quilt.  I go GAGA for quilts!!!  I have many too.  My Grandmother (Dad's Mom) made quilts all the time in all styles, appliques, cross-stitch. She made tons in her lifetime.  She had 6 grand daughters and all one after another, she made each of us a gorgeous applique.  Mine was Autumn Leaves.  After so many years of my using it, the poor thing totally wore out, fell apart.  However, once she made someone a floral that I just fell in love with. It was a tough one and very time consuming to do because of all of the pieces and colors.  I remember begging her to PLEASE make the same one for me.  She never made duplicates for anybody but Grandmother did this one again for just me!!!  I will never forget her doing that for me.  It was because of her that I have my love for handmade quilts.

Please post your's so we can see your lovely finished product. 

And yes, thanks to el nino, we've had crazy warm weather well into early January so DH was kept bringing boxes of daffs & tulips home.  I freaked when he told me how many he had planted.  Trust me, we do not by any stretch have a big yard, the front very small but we also have an easement parallel to the sidewalk in the front so he plants that.  Many bulbs there, and then all around the perimeter of the backyard.  It will be colorful for sure this spring!  Cannot wait! 

@PINKdogWOOD, I love the quilt stories about your grandmother.  My grandmother was a tailor.  She made men's suits.  I am number eight of ten children.  By the time I came along, she wasn't sewing anymore.

Of all of the quilts I have made, the most beautiful one is an appliqué, the quilt top pieced by a master quilter.  As beautiful as it is, it was my least favorite to quilt.  You must have been special to your grandmother!  I share her wish not to do the same one twice.  I appreciate the originality of a new design.  Quilting can get repetitive.

Your garden will be alive with color with all the bulbs.  Sounds lovely.  My brother and I traded yard pictures today.  He is getting ready for golf in British Columbia while we are still in full winter gear!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

@Lilysmom

Your pictures are simply beautiful.  I am so intrigued by the area in which you live.

Here in NJ, winter had been too mild for me.  I kept saying I wanted one pretty snowfall.  Well, you know what happened here last weekend.  And, we were in the Caribbean. (and came home Friday to ugly, dirty, melting snow)

@lulu2, we are very like Maine in our weather.  Last year in April, we made a road trip to New Hampshire.  When we left Maine, it was like the dead of winter, big snowbanks, the ugly end of winter.  When we got to NH, it was like another climate totally.  Sunny, snow gone, close to 70 degrees, people walking around in shorts.

We are coastal.  It doesn't get to be the deep deep cold of the interior Provinces.  The one thing I hate is the winter wind which makes the 'feel  like' temperatures much colder.  So far, no complaints about this winter.  Life is good😊.  LM