Honored Contributor

Why won't our squash polinate?

We have squash planted in two places, behind the pole barn and down near the house.  The polebarn plants have squash, a couple different kinds.  The plants near the house still have blossoms and have never started making squash.  Its been about a month now.  We see bees in the yard.  What is going on?  We use no pesticides on the plants or grass.  We did have the logs sprayed last year for carpenter ants.  Any connection?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why won't our squash polinate?

Do you have any female blossoms? They have a bulge at the base of the flower. The male blossoms don't. If the female blossoms don't get pollinated then the flowers eventually die and don't grow fruits. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our friends have the same problem with their zucchini plants.  The vines are robust and plenty of blossoms.  They call the home extension office and the agent told them all their plants were male.

Honored Contributor

One plant will have both male and female flowers, usually. squah plants aren't individually male or female. 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom yes, you are right, there are no separate male female plants. I have a feeling the squash plants need to be planted closer together for cross pollination.

Esteemed Contributor

There is a bee shortage you know.

Bees polinate.

Now,sadly, with all the zika spraying going on ,it is a  wonder anything polinates  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you do have some male and female blossoms, you can pollinate by hand. Maoxian, China has no bees left and apple farmers have to pollinate by hand. At least you won't have to do it with an entire grove.

Here's how to do it with squash blossoms: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/pollinate-squash-by-hand.htm

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the issue is that for some reason you get a bunch of male flowers initially and no female ones. Or it can be a pollination issue. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

We have squash planted in two places, behind the pole barn and down near the house.  The polebarn plants have squash, a couple different kinds.  The plants near the house still have blossoms and have never started making squash.  Its been about a month now.  We see bees in the yard.  What is going on?  We use no pesticides on the plants or grass.  We did have the logs sprayed last year for carpenter ants.  Any connection?

@depglass  I planted three seeds in the hill, and two grew to fruition.  Our weather hasn't been very hot so I think this is why I am not getting the amount of zucchini that I should.  I recently planted two more hills, as I learned that they should be planted in two week increments, as should other vegetables, to insure a constant supply.

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Sometimes the issue is that for some reason you get a bunch of male flowers initially and no female ones. Or it can be a pollination issue. 

Males flowers come out first then female. You can even use an artist's brush to do the polinating.  

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼