Trusted Contributor

Re: Why Are Peonies So Costly?

@millieshops
Oh thank you, my dear...I later realized that you must have been referring to artificial flowers!
@SuperShopper
Yes, same here...we don't have enough freezing weather for them to grow in California. I NEVER knew peonies could be dried! I took one of my blooms today out of the water and hung it upside down!! Very excited to try this!! I have dried fresh lavender and roses, but never peonies!!
I agree...those of you lucky enough to have all these heirloom bushes of peonies are so very blessed!!
Super Contributor

Once cut peonies have little life span.They begin to wilt and get bedraggled.I have many bushes but only pick for the day.There must be great waste in stores from peonies ,reflected in the price.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have silk peonies in a tall bud vase on one of my end tables in the living room. I had bought them years ago from Michael’s. 

I love my outdoor peonies — I’ve 13 of them. One is that ITOH peony ‘Bartzella’ which this year has 10 buds, up from 4-5 from last year.

I love the Japanese style shaped flowered ones & those 4 are in my backyard along the Southern exposure fence line. 

Some to look for via mailorder — ‘Fancy Nancy’, ‘Cora Stubbs’, ‘White Cap’, ‘Bowl of Beauty’ — a very old & still available variety & my favorite ‘Port Royale’. All these are the Japanese shaped flowers with huge center stamens surrounded by single to double rows of petals. 

I bought most of my peonies from mailorder & used Klehm Songsparrow Nursery in WI. ‘Bartzella’ I found in Home Depot 3 years ago. Klehm will mail out peonies in the fall, you can request what time in fall you want them when you order.

Here is a fact sheet for those who own peonies — we mail these out to homeowners here where I am.

http://ccenassau.org/resources/peonies

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@JustJazzmom @proudlyfromNJ 

Case in point!
The golfball one on the left never bloomed - the softer, fuller "marshmallow" bud opened over the past two days.

THANK YOU for that tip, @JustJazzmom  I NEVER KNEW why some peonies opened and others just died on the stem, turning brown and refusing to open.

Are these the "Japanese-style" blooms? They came from the grocery store (cut flowers.) 

peony.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarnieRez3  That photo is of a double type peony. 

See this one: Bowl of Beauty (Japanese style flower shape)

CDCC7103-EEE8-4701-9E99-4450B724C137.jpeg

Port Royale (Japanese style flower shape)

8D142DD0-A770-4515-8F0D-F87713279D79.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3  And when peonies don’t open & turn brown or blackish, it could be caused by botrytis, a fungal disease. A natural fungicide is copper sulfate which helps keep symptoms away. 

Trusted Contributor

@JustJazzmom

Wow - thank you for posting these pictures. I had never seen a "double" peony - truly spectacular!!!

I am now going to be making sure I buy soft blossoms, and not the harder golf ball ones...it is kind of counter-intuitive, as I always try to get "new buds" on the rare occasions I buy fresh flowers, not the softer ones that are starting to open.

You are The Peony Queen - I have learned so much...my most earnest and sincere thanks across the miles!!