Honored Contributor

Who knows about lavender? Who ordered it.?

Mine was shipped May 27, but the box was misplaced until today.  The plants are brown and dry.  Is there any hope or should I just throw them out?  I've never seen lavender grown in my area.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Who knows about lavender? Who ordered it.?

Contact QVC and explain the condition they arrived and whether you'd like a replacement or refund.

Honored Contributor

Lavender that is brown is never going to be ok.  Contact CS and ask for a refund. 

Honored Contributor

Buy local, or pick and choose carefully nurseries, plant companies who KNOW what they're doing to send plants through the mail. This is not the place to do this. 

Buy local.

Honored Contributor

Another strange thing is that it was invoiced Mar 27.  Did they just hold it for two months to ship to our colder area?  I don't match shipments to invoices so I would have never noticed this.

Honored Contributor

Lavender does well in poor soils that are dry. If you have moisture retentive soil, it will not do well. It prefers well drained soil too. 

It's a plant that generally thrives on neglect. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I think the chances of it doing well are slim.....I would get a refund..

Respected Contributor

@depglass I'd call QVC and ask for a replacement or a refund. 

Valued Contributor

I live in Zone 9 in California and have grown lavender for several years.  I have had plants in the garden at 2 different houses and some of them have grown really big.  My sister harvested the plants once and took them home to make sachets or whatever.  I usually just enjoy them outside or cut a few for a small vase with other flowers.  They attract bees and hummingbirds.

In April I ordered Roberta's Big Time Blue Lavender.  I planted 3 in pots and recently moved one to the ground.  These are lovely plants and I decided to purchase 3 more but by then they were sold out.  I looked on Roberta's website and they had a different lavender in a set of 3 which I decided to order.  The plants were so disappointing with lots of dark color on the trunks and some of the stems.  I planted them anyway and will see how they do.  I'll be looking for the Big Time lavender next spring.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am on my second year of roberta's lavender bushes. Started with six last year, four died. FIrst they grew gangbusters and then one day they were just dead. Planted the same in the same planter box. This year, I moved the two remaining to the middle of the plantar box and cut them back to very short. We had that big freeze here in February which didn't kill them but I wanted to cut off the small sections that looked fried. I added two locally sourced lavender plants. So I had four lavender bushes that sent up huge stalks of flowers. The bushes are now about 18 inches round and about 18 inches high. Then one of the lavender died, a local sourced one. I cut it back, I watered it a lot, we got a ton of rain, and it looks bad. I used Garrett Juice Plus on it today. The others are still beautiful and I have had to cut back the dead flowers on two of the living bushes. The fourth bush, locally sourced has tons of tall flower stalks. Go figure. Mine seem to desire more watering than being dry???