Regular Contributor

Re: Who is eating my tomatoes?

@Qvc fan from long island wrote:

For the past 2yrs now something has been nipping at my tomatoes! 

I cannot tell a lie. I've been eating them. And thank you for putting them in an accessible place. :-)

Honored Contributor

We get the hornworms every season, they will decimate tomatoes in 48 hours if you don't pick them off the plants. This year, instead of losing most of my tomatoes, I just picked them green and they ripened indoors and they still taste good.

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Just told my husband I'm tired of taking care of a garden just to have the critters enjoy it.....next year I'll support our local farmers' markets.......I'm done!!

Yep that's my take as well.  I have little to no lawn so I had a patio container garden this year and it started out great - but between the landscaping ppl here (they mow, weed wack but then someone comes behind with a leaf blower and cleans off the loose grass) - well the leaf blower guy would blow all my pots off the patio!  I swear they were doing it to be funny - someone told me next year to put a half brick in the bottom or rocks so they would be too heavy.  I just shook my head and said - "nope - the farmer's market is too close and has tons of stuff!"