Valued Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Lilysmom 

On one of the old HGTV gardening shows (Gardener's Diary or Gardener's Journal) the hostess (Kathy Renwald or Erica Glasener) visited a garden in Colorado and they'd have really warm days, then a late frost up to the Fourth of July, then an early frost around Labor Day with lots of warm weather again afterwards. The gardener she interviewed described it as incredibly frustrating and had a huge pile of blankets she'd cover the plants with when a late or early cold snap hit. There were only about sixty days of the year that were guaranteed frost free. I would hate that. I'm frost free from about May first (mid May at the latest) and stay frost free until about mid-October. So we get about five frost free months here.

We can get snow in Denver in September.  Definitely a lot more in October.   The problem is that the ground hardens and everything dies.   And the trees are still leafed out, so the limbs fall.     So much fun.

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Allegheny @LexaMom , we are going to have a week of plus temps.  Hooray!

@Allegheny , if you saw Peggy’s Cove, I am close (20 km closer to the City), you know what it’s like here.

Now it is pot hole season🙄.  Someone posted last nite that an area I drive through on the way to my swim had a dozen disabled cars yesterday.  Water from run off filled a large pothole and cars became tire/rim victims one after another.  I will have to be careful this morning!  LM

And we have a winter storm warning for tonight.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom   We haven't seen even a glimpse of spring here in Western NY, and I for one would appreciate Mr. sun to make an apperance.

Respected Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

We haven't seen even a glimpse of spring here in Western NY, and I for one would appreciate Mr. sun to make an appearance.

That is usually our lament here in the Pittsburgh area year round.  But for the past week we have been waking up to sunshine. (It doesn't stay sunny all day though.)  So unusual for us it has become a topic on our local news.  

According to folklore we still have some snow to come.

"Three snow-related expressions, including onion snow, are unique to Pennsylvania Dutch culture. A sapling-bender refers to a wet and heavy snow that weighs down tree limbs, while a crack-stuffer is the term for a dry fine-grained snow that settles into cracks. Legend holds that all three types of snow must occur before spring has arrived."

Esteemed Contributor

@LexaMom , enough already with the winter storms.  Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if we didn't already have so much snow.  Certainly a storm or two left in our weather I am sure.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

52 and sunny here in the Piedmont of VA.  Finally!  Yesterday was sunny, too - I actually watered and fertilized container plants on the porch (houseplants, too).

I border wetlands and I hear peepers in the day, and in the night.  When I walk by the daytime creatures I hear "plop, plop, plop", and then silence, as they hop off their logs into the water.

We may actually have no rain 'til the weekend.  Good thing, as I'm hoping to have a section of fence installed in a couple of days.  Parts of the yard are going to get torn up, but we need to put a path there, anyway, maybe patterned bluestone (flagstone).  When it's really wet, we can just drop them in place and they harden in the clay over time as it dries up.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

Where is spring?....if you find it let me know. We are in for very strong rain storms, winds and possible tornadoes tonight and tomorrow. The poor birds are trying to build nests and feather their nests in the bird houses. They think it is time for spring also. While we have had a lot of snow this winter that has not bothered me as much as relentless days of dreary clouds. I can count on one hand the sunny days we have had this past late fall and winter.

Esteemed Contributor

@nomar , the gray days can get to you after awhile.  We are enjoying our first week of plus degree temps since I can’t remember when.  The sun is so bright it is dazzling!  Love this.  Finally cleared the front step of ice build up yesterday.  Still a lot of snow to go so I am ok with the rain for now when it comes.  Makes for messy dog walking though.  LM

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia , sounds lovely.  We need a bit more heat here before I can open up the windows but it won’t be long now.

Love the fact that you cam just drop your stones in the walkway!  LM

Respected Contributor

Jersey Shore; yesterday my snowdrops began blooming, today there are 2 clusters of crocus in bloom.

Absolutely NO snow left anywhere in our yard!