Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia , now that must have been a lovely sight!!!  It will be plus degrees today.  Let the melt begin!  LM

Valued Contributor

I'm just happy I didn't wear cleats over my boots to walk my dog this AM.  Our sidewalks have been snowy/icy in Colorado in the early AM for weeks!

Honored Contributor

Spring never gets here fast enough for me. I'm ready for it from about the first week in November. But, it'll come when it comes. I've got two types of lobelia seeds started (36 pots in total). My dahlberg daisies started (36 more). And 144 impatiens started. I'll be seeing if the salvia seeds from last year are still viable soon. Salvia seeds typically have a short shelf-life, but they've been in the fridge, still factory sealed, so they may grow. The three cuttings I took from my brugmansia are now about eighteen inches tall and one's even flowering, so that's neat.

New Jersey weather is weird with March being a highly variable month. I typically start out March shoveling snow and end the month mowing the grass. From mid-March on the threat of big snow typically winds down, and the daffodils are about four to six inches tall now. The first daff flowers will be out soon and go on for about six weeks, then other plants will take over. We can't guarantee being frost free until mid-May, but typically we don't see a frost after the first three weeks of April, so you can cheat a little if you're daring.I

It always seems like that December-February three months lasts longer than the other nine months combined. Now the calendar seems to speed up and go faster and faster with each month.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman , we had a killing frost in June (the 9th I think).  The wine growers and farmers applied for special compensation as they lost 50-80% of their crops. 

I have ‘t done any seeds this year.  Hard to get motivated with three feet on the ground and a snow storm scheduled overnight🙄!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom 

On one of the old HGTV gardening shows (Gardener's Diary or Gardener's Journal) the hostess (Kathy Renwald or Erica Glasener) visited a garden in Colorado and they'd have really warm days, then a late frost up to the Fourth of July, then an early frost around Labor Day with lots of warm weather again afterwards. The gardener she interviewed described it as incredibly frustrating and had a huge pile of blankets she'd cover the plants with when a late or early cold snap hit. There were only about sixty days of the year that were guaranteed frost free. I would hate that. I'm frost free from about May first (mid May at the latest) and stay frost free until about mid-October. So we get about five frost free months here.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

🌞🌼🌻Today felt like Spring (after all the frost cold and rain).

South of Richmond,Va  it was 70, cloudy morning then SUN!   

The dogs loved four walks with no coats.

The daffodils are beautiful in the woods and on the banks, but the cold last week killed many blooming buds on trees and bushes. Such a shame! Below freezing at night due later this week☹️

Our weather has been up & down all Winter.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, there is a bit of a silver lining.  I have been purging for the last two months so I haven’tgotten much quilting done.  I now have time to do it.  I have been quilting a couple of hours each day.  

Raining out out there today.  Great to take some of the snow away.  LM

Respected Contributor

Oh my! @Lilysmom  You all sure do have a lot of snow left.  I was checking out some live web cams for Peggy's Cove and Chester Golf Club area.

Respected Contributor

In the eastern US, I have noticed that we barely have any Spring season anymore.  It pretty much goes from cold to hot.  In a couple of months it will be hot and humid.  Then later in the year we barely have a Fall season.  It just goes from hot to cold.  Too bad, because I used to really like Spring and Fall.  Oddly, Fall has always been my favorite season.  I just love the lush, bright warm tone colors.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny @LexaMom , we are going to have a week of plus temps.  Hooray!

@Allegheny , if you saw Peggy’s Cove, I am close (20 km closer to the City), you know what it’s like here.

Now it is pot hole season🙄.  Someone posted last nite that an area I drive through on the way to my swim had a dozen disabled cars yesterday.  Water from run off filled a large pothole and cars became tire/rim victims one after another.  I will have to be careful this morning!  LM