Valued Contributor

Re: Where are the hummingbirds?

I just posted about this last week. I was the same way. I didn't have any hummers. However, now that my big, beautiful Mimosa tree is out in bloom, I now have three hummers. I had to get out another small feeder to help with the arguing. :-) 

Respected Contributor

We are in the northern burbs of Chicago and have had more this Sprin/Summer than ever.  We have neon green ones, red throated ones,  little tiny ones,  chubbier ones.  I normally put out my feeders pretty early but they came even before my feeders were out looking for them.  As soon as I saw the first,  I put them out IMMEDIATELY.   We constantly clean the feedeers and change the water.  They even buzz around our heads, although some are a little more shy.

Respected Contributor

No hummingbirds at my feeder here but i do hear them chirpity chirping flying by...and they're buzzing around the rose bushes. 

i hang my feeders in mid-April but  was away for 6 weeks so by the time i came home the birdies set up shop elsewhere. even though it finally went up we had no takers.

the funny thing is they haven't even flown up hovering by the other windows where i've had the feeders for years. Southern new england

Honored Contributor

I saw one while I was making lunch today.  I'm accustomed to not seeing them so much in the summer, but I usually hear them and really haven't this year.  I usually get a lot of feeder activity in the fall when they fight over it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago and have had lots of activity at my feeder.  I make my own nectar, NO RED STUFF.  I change the food often and keep the feeder clean.  They're one of my favorite things about Summer. Little flying jewels

It's upsetting to hear so many posters with no activity. We've very few lightening bugs around.  Another Summer creature I enjoy.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

Ours came late but are here and eating faster than usual.

Respected Contributor

I guess they are all Summering in CA.  I have 4 feeders up and I have to fill them 2 sometimes 3 times a day. They love my red fountain and it's so fun to watch them take a bath. I highly recommend this fountain....they LOVE it! The red just draws them in.

Amazon.com: Peaktop Floor Glazed Pot Water Fountain with Built-In LED Light  and Pump for Outdoor Indoor Patio Garden Backyard Decking Home Décor, 17  inch Height, Red : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Regular Contributor

Oh, I am sorry to read that folks are not seeing hummers in former numbers this year! I would have been heartbroken if mine had not shown up this spring!

I am in rural upstate NY in the northern Catskill area. Hummers arrived on time ( May 1st EVERY year like clockwork ) and soon my 4 feeders placed around the yard were busy. 

When I bring the feeders in to be cleaned my guys hover just outside the kitchen window until I 'return' them. How do they know where I wash the feeders....? 

I usually sit on my 2nd story deck in the early evening because it faces west and the temps cool down as the sun sets. The hummers keep me company, even drinking from the mini feeder I place on the arm of my Adirondack chair.

As far as lightning bugs go, they like the dark. Real dark. And no pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers in the lawn. I have hundreds all summer long, but there are no streetlights where I live, and no houses nearby. I keep the house lights off and even stopped putting out my pathway lights, since I pull right into my garage and into the house anyway. The ambient light interfears with the lighted signals they use to attract mates. In the pitch dark, they put on quite a show!

Sending my hopes that the hummers reappear for those who love them so much!