Respected Contributor

When you and your shovel go out to the flower beds...

Last week I did one one of the few gardening chores that I still entertain at my age.  Almost finished with lifting the iris to divide them ( they were in a hip high planting oval ),  my shovel hit an in ground yellow jacket bee nest.  They were very, very angry and kept biting my arm.  One bite took a week for the angry red splotch to go away.

remember to not wear white clothing nor scent, and above all, cover your arms and legs---the latter I forgot about but never again!!!

HTH helps someone!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Re: When you and your shovel go out to the flower beds...

@jlkz, how scary is that!  The whole neighborhood would have heard me!  Are you ok?

This year I have been hearing several times about people mowing over a nest, walking on one, etc.  I wonder what that means?  I am on the east coast and the weather people are saying we are in for a much better winter than last year.

I haven't had your experience and hope not to!  Hope you're healing ok.  LM

Respected Contributor

actually, I didn't realize I had been bitten until the welts and itching began.  I am fine now.  Located in SE PA.

thanks for asking!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Yikes. I'm always alert of the possibility of hornets and other stinging insects. We have to keep a can of hornet spray handy at all times as they are always trying to build a nest somewhere. Just hope you are not allergic to their venom, and be aware of symptoms if you are.

Honored Contributor

Yellow jackets are starting to get antsy (when aren't they?)-- they will be going into hibernation soon so be careful out there!!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Last week I did one one of the few gardening chores that I still entertain at my age.  Almost finished with lifting the iris to divide them ( they were in a hip high planting oval ),  my shovel hit an in ground yellow jacket bee nest.  They were very, very angry and kept biting my arm.  One bite took a week for the angry red splotch to go away.

remember to not wear white clothing nor scent, and above all, cover your arms and legs---the latter I forgot about but never again!!!

HTH helps someone!

DH was digging a hole once, and was attacked by a swarm all about his head.  He had to go to ER as his head began swelling.  I found a nest last year, almost stepped in it, so had to destroy it.