Esteemed Contributor

Re: When evergreens get brown in spots....

This normal for evergreens. We have several Leland Cypress and Green Gian Aborvitae that were planted in 2007. They were 5-6 feet when planted and are now well over 20 feet tall. Each year there are dead areas within the trees which will regenerate. Don't worry abouyt them but it cannot hurt to use some fertilizer if you wish.
Esteemed Contributor

No infestation. Hopefully KathyPet is right and these will show some new growth soon. Sometimes funny things happen when you plant two identical trees close together. I planted two Hinokis. One lived, one did not. They were in beds on either side of the front step. Planted two Nootke's, one lived and one did not. Planted three Hemlocks, two flourish, the third is so so. We amend the soil when planting. Live with claylike soil here in zone 5. Most times plantings are successful thankfully. So great to be in the garden agIn after a long winter! LM

Honored Contributor

Glad to hear no infestation on your hemlocks, lilysmom!! I think your winters are much colder than ours are routinely and the cold probably kills off any overwintering eggs.

Here we are losing the battle to use this evergreen in our landscapes.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about this infestation. Hope it doesn't come this far north. I love the hemlocks. We had the worst winter here in many many years. Spring has not been great either. Here's hoping the weather improves. By the way, my plantings around my rock wall are complete. When things bloom, I will post some photos. LM

Esteemed Contributor

Mine do that every year, in fact they are showing brown spots now. Those needles drop & new growth appears.