Honored Contributor

Re: When Do You Put Down Manure?

@lovesallanimals,

No bagged manure.   When we had a big garden, we also had the real stuff, which is why we put it down in the fall.   

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@lovesallanimals If it’s fresh non composted manure you can put down now so it ages before going into use in the spring. 

But if it’s composted, I would continue what you are doing — spring application, then follow again mid summer with a second application.

JustJazzmom:  Yes, it is the kind that is already composted (cow manure) that you get at the garden center.  Thank you for the idea of also applying a second application mid summer.  I did not know that.  

Certain plants benefit from that additional midsummer boost like tomatoes & peppers. I find side dressing around the peppers monthly increases their growth & yield.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals We live in eastern PA and put down composted manure in March or April and rototill it in after it dries slightly. I think the Amish spread it more often because, well...they have a lot of it! Hahahaha!

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I think this is my favorite forum, everyone here is so helpful.

Trusted Contributor

We do the manure for our garden in the spring and always use aged manure. 

Trusted Contributor

Does anyone use "green manure"?  i.e., planting a cover crop in the fall, something like clover or red clover or anything that nourishes the soil over the winter, and then plow it under in the spring?

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

Does anyone use "green manure"?  i.e., planting a cover crop in the fall, something like clover or red clover or anything that nourishes the soil over the winter, and then plow it under in the spring?

Some people I know do. They plant rye seed & then plow or rototill it over in the spring.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼