Honored Contributor

What to do about shrews that eat the beets

This happened yeas ago and DH finally decided to give it another shot this year.  We couldn't even tell they were making lunch out of the beets, the tops never showed a hint.  Then when it came to harvest them, what a shock.  All were half eaten.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to do about shrews that eat the beets

Buy your beets and grow something eye level  LOL

Had to look up Shrew b/c I don't hear about them here.....they have nasty teeth....and living below ground i.e., moles......don't think you have a chance with garden growing beets.  How about container growing?

Respected Contributor

shrews: violent, ugly, nasty little beasts!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't think a shrew would eat a beet.  Could it be something else?

ETA. In general you need to go down far enough with a strong wire mesh to deter critters.  And high enough to keep out deer.   But once it is all in place should be good for a long time.  A battle to the death.  Also need to consider traps 😫

Trusted Contributor

It is probably voles that are eating your beets.  I hate those things!

I had them for a couple of summers and really didn't do anything to get rid of them.  They just disappeared on their own (though my outdoor cats did catch some of them without eating them - apparently distasteful to cats).

This was probably about 10 years ago, before it was discovered that voles can be the intermediate between deer and lone star ticks which could carry Lyme disease.

I just remember that I had had voles, and one day was working around my rose bushes, then discovered I had approximately 15 small ticks around my ankles and lower legs - about the size of a pinhead.

That same summer, my mother-in-law also got little ticks from picking raspberries.

Neither of us got sick or anything, and this was before it was known about the connection with voles, deer, and these ticks.

Be careful out there!

Honored Contributor

Shrews, voles, mice, hate them all.  I'll go with the voles, no wonder we have ticks.  There is a five foot fence for the deer, they haven't jumped it yet.  We also have Lyme disease in this area, an embedded tick gets me to the doc for a test.  I believe you have to wait five or six weeks for it to show up.  I really should refresh myself on the rules.