Respected Contributor

Re: What should I put in this Bed near the street?

Wow! What a cool history. Now that you mention the New Orleans vibe, I can see it. I love the iron work. You are so right. They don't make houses like that any more. A roof top garden would be cool to relax after a long day for some sun and fresh air. I can't imagine how large the house would be as 1 house. Too bad you don't share a maid anymore. We don't get stories like that down here. Most of Georgia was burned int he Civil War and the farm residences where either the plantation house or the share cropper's houses that weren't built to last. The house my grandmother grew up in, a share cropper's house, went to pot after they moved out. Most were built of fat lighter, basically kindling/heart pine, so fires were common as a total loss. I've always loved the history of houses in the north and out west.

You could look into historical plantings of the times and see if you can get those plants for the beds. I can't imagine anyone fussing about anything you plant there.
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
Wow! What a cool history. Now that you mention the New Orleans vibe, I can see it. I love the iron work. You are so right. They don't make houses like that any more. A roof top garden would be cool to relax after a long day for some sun and fresh air. I can't imagine how large the house would be as 1 house. Too bad you don't share a maid anymore. We don't get stories like that down here. Most of Georgia was burned int he Civil War and the farm residences where either the plantation house or the share cropper's houses that weren't built to last. The house my grandmother grew up in, a share cropper's house, went to pot after they moved out. Most were built of fat lighter, basically kindling/heart pine, so fires were common as a total loss. I've always loved the history of houses in the north and out west.

You could look into historical plantings of the times and see if you can get those plants for the beds. I can't imagine anyone fussing about anything you plant there.

I'm also on the Buffalo Garden Walk - in late July. We get literally thousands of people coming to my neighborhood to see over 400 open gardens. 

I found out about our old hostas by going to the local History Museum - they had pictures.

My home was first rented by a justice of the Supreme Court. He lived most of the year in DC, but came home to Buffalo for the summer...too hot in DC back then!

New Contributor

You are in Buffalo?  And you want something that will come back each year?  Nevermind these folks telling you to put in Banana plants and petunias.  Go for some nice hearty Ajuga (bungleweed)!  There are several varieties hearty down to zone 3.  They will come back each year, choke out the weeds, resist trampling and they will have some nice blue blooms in late spring.  Go for one that has a nice light foliage color since this area seems to be in at least partial shade.  It will brighten the area.  Have fun!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Deb - I never heard of this plant! Thanks - it sounds like it will be great for along the edges. Can you plant spring bulbs with this?

Honored Contributor

Ajuga is a nice plant provided it remains where you plant it. It's quite difficult to get rid of if it's in someone's lawn.

Lots of cultivars available of ajuga too-- its low growing about 4" high.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

OOoooo. This sounds perfect for me to put at the back of the house behind the banana trees. I've been looking for something to choke out the blackberries that the rabbits deposit year after year. It is pretty too!