Honored Contributor

Re: What's the best way to feed birds and fury friends during winter months?

@GingerPeach

I meant to mention that other animals could ingest it; even birds. If the problem is really severe, rat traps would work with food on the trap but remember, if not loaded right, it could break your finger! Woman Surprised

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

If I were going to use traps, I'd use covered ones kind of like this.  But I am sticking with the repellant spray.   Trapping them I'll leave to someone else.

By the way, did anyone see the opening scene of How to Get Away With Murder last night?  A rat trap was involved.  What did she think was going to happen?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sfnative   With regard to your neighbor and the rat...could it be that you have a man in the house and she doesn't?  Everyone knows it's men's work to eradicate vermin.  LOL.

@Kachina624

You know, it's posssible.  However, this neighbor of mine is forward in the extreme, as is her 40-something daughter living with her.  The daughter works at the local hardward store, so no lack of traps there.  I think more thank anything they probably don't want to deal with the rat(s) when dead.

My husband put the traps out this morning.  I don't even want to know or see the outcome and I know he'll bring them through the house rather than take them around the house to the large garbage can in the garage.  Hopefully, this will be over by Monday.

Have a great weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck!

Regular Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Good luck!

@Lilysmom

Ha-ha-ha!  My husband keeps checking the traps, only to find that the bait is gone.  Seems we have some pretty savvy rats.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

I don't even want to know or see the outcome and I know he'll bring them through the house rather than take them around the house to the large garbage can in the garage. 

LOL  I have an end unit condo so it's easy enough to get to the back yard.  But one of the neighbors in a townhouse unit makes her husband walk all the way around the end of the building rather than carry garden utensils through the house (from the garage to the back yard).  It's quite a hike since they're the fourth unit in a building with eight.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If living in a condo you will need to be aware that some of your neighbors may not be pleased when you chose to feed the birds. Some people don't appreciate the mess the birds leave behind.We put out a bird feeder as soon as we moved to Florida and within days had a letter from the HOA to take it down.

Honored Contributor

Apparently my clueless neighbor is still putting out rodent bait (uncovered) because I found a dead mouse in my garden a couple of days ago.  It was clearly explained to her about other animals either eating the bait or eating the dead rodents who would be poisoned with the bait.

After rejecting the idea of tossing the mouse back over the fence back into her yard, and also not wanting to put it into my own garbage (pickup isn't until the end of the week), I decided to bury it.  So that's what I did just now, @sfnative and @JustJazzmom.

The mouse was lying belly up in some groundcover (Sprenger asparagus).  You all probably know they have the cutest little white tummies.  I guess that's why Disney made a fortune from mice.  RIP, cute little mouse.

By the way,  JJM, I knew that you knew about other animals eating the rodent poison. You are savvy about all things garden.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.