Regular Contributor

Re: What perennials do you have ?

I recently moved from my home of over 50 yrs. & had to leave most of my perennials behind. That was so hard. I most miss all my daylilies! Plants are such an important part of a yard!

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23   You have some beauties. I love wisteria.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grade1Teach  Your varieties sound beautiful and you are fortunate to have some full sun. We are limited to plants that can

live with partial sun, since we have so many trees.

Respected Contributor

@Frenchlop  We also love our hydrangeas. An interesting thing has happened to what we planted years ago. Originally the plants were pink or blue. As a result of the acidic soil at the base of pine trees, now they have turned more purple or violet color.

On the other side of the house, there are no pine trees, only on the hill above. We have white hydrangea that have been there since 1978 and have always stayed white.

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23  You have some lovely flowers. We only have yellow primrose, the pink must be pretty. I planted tulip bulbs years ago and the squirrels dug them up. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@estaw2000  That is sad. Can you grow any similar flowers where you are now? Maybe some in pots or planter?

I hope that I never have to move from my house.

But, who knows what the future will bring?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff   Yes, the wisteria is pretty but it is taking over our hugh tree in the back yard and is starting to damage it.

Also I forgot to mention the coral bells and candytuff.  We have to plant most of our annuals in pots as most of the planting space has periennials planted there blooming at different times.  Sometimes it is hard to remember where we can plant and what space is already taken up with something not blooming yet.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff, your hydrangeas sound beautiful. Every year I would cut mine back in fall and was getting no flowers, just the green leaves. I looked it up online and it said some Hydrangeas  flower on old wood, so I didn't cut them back last year and had beautiful blue, lilac flowers. I would love white ones too!

Respected Contributor

@Frenchlop   The same thing happened to our hydrangeas, one year when my husband pruned them back. When I researched, I found the same as you, don't prune. Now we get loads of blossoms.

Respected Contributor

Hostas and hydrangea as well as roses are a joy but need deer fencing or they will be eaten to stubs.  Iris plants thrive and deer don't like.  I just wish their color lasted longer.